Thoughts about basing and stuff...

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Postby KevinC » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:53 am

Hi guys,

This past weekend I attended Da Boyz 2012 GT. For WFB they had approx. 61 or 62 people and it was a lot of fun! I had a decent record there with my Goblins going 3-1-1, which included completely destroying every model in an Ogre army and defeating a Griffon Cav style Empire army - slaying all models except the Steam Tank! Anyway, I did place lower overall from what I would expect, because I got hammered on my painting scores.

Now, I know I'm not considered the best painter and many people simply do not like my style and/or colors (which is fine), but if one looks at my models, they cannot deny my models are clean, crisp and complete. In addition I have many details in my army including every Gobbo having their eyes, teeth, finger nails and toe nails painted and outlined. I have freehand icons and symbols such as my 'face' shields and I have some, if minor, conversions such as the howdah on my spider and also a scratch built Grom's chariot. My army is far from poor.

The thing that bothered me about my painting score is that many poorly painted armies, not only scored higher than mine, but waay higher. Out of 61 players, I scored 45th in painting AND out of about 7 O&G armies, mine was the most poorly painted O&G army there, according to my score. That is simply not true. When I say 'poorly painted' btw, I'm talking about those armies that look unfinshed and/or have very little details, i.e. eyes are not painted, and so on.

The paint scoring was a check list system (which I hate) and you could score a lot of points for a big, fancy display board and basing was a really big deal. I'm considering making a really nice display board, but the reason I never havein the past is because they are so cumbersome and annoying to travel with. Note: I took a plane to Rochester for this tournament, with two cases of Goblins, there is not way I'm bringing a display board. IMO, it's a gimmick anyway!

Anyway, as a result of all this, not only am I considering doing a nice display board, but I'm considering modifiying my bases. Considering. I'm happy with my Goblin Green bases but I do understand why some might really dislike them. If I did change them, which is a big deal for me (I've done my bases like I do since 1988! This is not something I will decide lightly!), I would probably change the Goblin Green edges to a brown of some kind and either add something (like mushrooms) to the flock or add another color on top or on parts of the flock.

What I'd like to know from you guys, is do my bases really bother you, regardless of your personal taste. And any opinions or thoughts about it. Before you reply though, I'd appreciate if you gave my models a look here at the following link (page 1 and 3 of the thread show photos of some of my Goblins):

http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_ ... opic=28856

I would greatly appreciate any thoughtful and serious replies.

Thanks!
Common Goblins iz da best!!

Check out my Gobbos at:http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_Warpath/index.php?showtopic=28856

'I am the son of Aenarion, and where my blade falls, death follows.'
- Malekith, Prince of Nagarythe
KevinC

Re: Thoughts about basing and stuff...

Postby WickerNipple » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:14 am

Very much depends on how you look at it and what your objective is.

Your bases don't bother me at all as a player. They're done, they're painted, rock on.

From the perspective of a scoring judge they're as simple and effortless as can be and will likely get no points beyond the bare minimum if bases are part of the scoring system - and attention to bases has really taken off in the modelling community. If your objective is to score well at similar events you do want to do more with them - adding all sorts of colorful mushrooms would certainly qualify.

From a painter's perspective, I appreciate what you do. There aren't many people left painting in the style most of us grew up with and it's nice to see. Your bases completely match that same style and era, so they're kinda perfect for what you're doing. I don't think fussing them up will take away from that style, but it's not going to make them look 'more classic' or 'more old school'.
WickerNipple

Postby Guy In Suit » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:55 am

I would not change the style of your bases. I would simply add green-stuff mushrooms everywhere - or maybe little snotlings, etc.

I worry that a dramatic change to your bases might clash with your painting style and ruin the overall effect of your army.
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby Guy In Suit » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:55 am

And fuck those provincial rubes - what do they know anyway? :P
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby Arash » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:35 pm

I would echo the statements of Andy and Weakland, adding some mushrooms or something would go a long way, without compromising the theme of your army (which I love).

One thing to consider as well, would be new movement trays. I think that the all black style of movement trays, with lips, would really help framing your army.

How does your army normally score in painting? You usually place pretty well, so I would assume that it scores above average, no?
واعظان کاین جلوه محراب و منبر میکنند چون بخلوت میروند، آن کار دیگر میکنند

حافظ
Arash

Postby elrodogg » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:30 pm

First off, your army's paint job is great.

About your basing, in comparison to what other folks are doing, it does look a little on the plain side. Spice it up with some flock, green stuff mushrooms, etc.

Another thing to consider would be unit fillers. They will add some flairs of creativity and may garner you some points there.

Last, arash is right when he says movement trays with a black edge but have a top ridge that mirrors your basing will help too.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby teddet » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:25 pm

The path of least resistance might be to get some static grass (or those GW clumps of it) and add that to it. I think that just having 2 types of flock on a base make it look "modern" pretty fast. You could also just grab a bunch of slate from a home depot (or someplace similar), then give it a quick black/grey drybrush and stick it under some of your minis -- that would serve to break up the bases a bit more too.

I think paint scores are a crapshoot generally (which doesn't stop me trying). I remember going to colonial with my TK army and coming 4th overall in painting (i still think it must have been a typo), then coming back the next year with my (IMHO) better-painted bretonnian army and scoring in the middle of the pack.
teddet

Postby Anger Worm » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:18 pm

I agree with the above. If you want to embellish your bases, some colorful mushrooms would spruce things up and still look right. Your army presents the exact portrait you intended - retro GW - so it's a total success in my eyes. If you want to squeeze a few more points for elaborateness to get a score you're more comfortable with it's definitely worth doing.

Another thing to consider would be a more elaborate display base. You won the Crossroads terrain competition -- put some stuff like that on your display and that'll help maximize points.
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby Shonkhor » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:38 pm

I've been to tournaments where that army would have won the painting comp. Seriously! I'd like to suggest that you leave it alone. It looks awesome, it has retro cool. It is something not a lot of people have. I for one really like how you've made the new stuff look old-skool and not the other way round (like the old spiders on the arachnarok base). No idea if it was intention but please take as a compliment!

If you like it that's all that matters.

But.... if you feel like you want to modernize a touch quickly and easily, then edging bases in brown is def the 1st step.

Cheers,

Will
Shonkhor

Postby KevinC » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:23 am

Thanks a lot for all the feedback, it is greatly appreciated and very helpful. And thanks for the compliments too!

Ultimately I think some paint judges will respect 1988 and some will not.
Common Goblins iz da best!!

Check out my Gobbos at:http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_Warpath/index.php?showtopic=28856

'I am the son of Aenarion, and where my blade falls, death follows.'
- Malekith, Prince of Nagarythe
KevinC

Next

Return to Modeling and Painting