Converting the Helldrake

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Converting the Helldrake

Postby Kaidela1013 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:06 pm

Not to say that the stock model isn't awesome, but I would like to convert the helldrakes for my Nurgle army. I haven't seen one assembled in person, but based off the pictures that I've seen they seem to be roughly landraider sized.

I want to do some sort of large flying insect for them, flies or wasps, or one of each. For the legs I was looking at the local game shop and I came across the Necron Triarch. 6 large bug like legs a healthy sized body to base a sculpt on. All that's left is to craft some plasticard wings and bob's your uncle...... papa's hell-flies.

What do you guys think? Is the triarch scaled well enough to make it work? Am I right on the scale compared to a landraider? I'll be sure to get pics up once I get them going.
Kaidela1013

Re: Converting the Helldrake

Postby WickerNipple » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:30 pm

The body of the thing certainly isn't as big as a landraider, but I don't know the dimensions of it off hand.

I don't think it's going to be in scale with the triarch though. If I were converting up something from scratch I would likely find some insect toy or model to form the body and tech it up from there. No reason to pay GW prices for something you're going to completely change anyway.
WickerNipple

Postby Anger Worm » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:06 am

This is the best conversion I've seen for the heldrake: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthrea ... e-Heldrake

Seems like a lot of people are tending towards the swept forward look which brings it more in line with the hellblade fighters. Or a flying wasp/bug/whatever could work.
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby elrodogg » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:41 pm

If you are rocking Nurgle, then strongly consider just using a vampire count zombie dragon. That model is fantastic and fits nurgle strongly.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby ZiggyQubert » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:40 pm

:spacesharks: :Hamelin: :Lilith: Brookie
ZiggyQubert
Site Admin

Postby Anger Worm » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:49 pm

Definitely fits for nurgle, though it's a bit small.
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby WickerNipple » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:03 am

The Blight Drone is waaay too small. But it's a good concept approach.
WickerNipple

Postby Kaidela1013 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:46 am

So the twin prop design seems to be well liked although too small for a helldrake. I personally love the legs on the triarch, the give me a nice mecha component......soooooo we take triarch legs, sculpt insect like body and instead of wings set up some sort of quad rotor design.

Now for a term of scale...... make the rotor assemblies what? something on the order of 60mm monstrous creature bases? I could use slices of 1.5/2" pvc pipe to build the cowling and then greenstuff over them.

Ok now we're cooking w/ gas :D I can start to see it coming together....... Quick! To the hardware stare, follow by the hobby store, then BUILD ALL THE MODELS!!!!
Kaidela1013

Postby Kaidela1013 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:47 pm

Ok so progress made... I've tracked down a source for just the legs and torso bits for the Triarch, I even found something perfect for the fan rotor cowlings. I was describing the project to a co worker and used a water bottle to show about how big the rings needed to be and all of a sudden a giant lightbulb goes off as I realize that the bottle has three perfectly sized rings molded into it.

Now where can I find somethign suitable cool to be the fan motors? any suggestions? Or should I just make it mutated looking and be like screw you it's chaos that's why?
Kaidela1013

Postby WickerNipple » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:13 pm

Should be pretty easy to make fan blades out of thin plasticard or heavy cardboard.
WickerNipple

Next

Return to Modeling and Painting