Anyone using Tablewar to transport their army?

General club news, events, questions, introductions and suchwot.

Anyone using Tablewar to transport their army?

Postby Lanceocletian » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:14 am

Hey Everyone,

Has anyone in the club used the “Tablewar display case” (http://www.tablewar.com/) to transport their figures from a location in the city to the Compleat Strategist? In particular, I am curious to know how well it holds up when walking 10-20 blocks and a subway ride or two on a routine basis. Previously, my gaming focused primarily on tournaments, so I didn’t mind if I had a longer set-up time using Sabol bags since I played 2-3 games in a day. However for quicker single games on a Thursday evening, I was thinking of moving to quicker magnetized system.

All the videos I’ve seen discussing the product shows armies sliding in and out, but I haven’t actually seen anyone walk with it to gain a perspective how the weight affects movement or how much models may shift (especially metal and not plastic models)? I am wondering if single semi-sharp subway stop will knock over the models or if it is too heavy to carry more than a couple of minutes when loaded with an army.

Best Regards,

Lance
Lanceocletian

Re: Anyone using Tablewar to transport their army?

Postby Guy In Suit » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:28 am

I think Jarrett has had the closest with his toolbox-full-o-lizards. At one point I was sticking full regiments as one piece into my Sabol bag.
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby WickerNipple » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:51 am

I haven't seen this particular product used, but a lot of us have switched to just transporting armies magnetically on sheet metal. It works.
WickerNipple

Postby Anger Worm » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:32 pm

If you've got metal models on trays I'd recommend 2 or 3 rare earth magnets if you want to ensure they remain in place with normal jostling. I'd lean towards 3 if they're being glued to the bottom of normal GW bases. Plastics should be fine with 1, 2 if you want to be careful, or for tall models like standards.

Models will still get loose now and again. I've had my case be dropped, kicked, tossed... One loose model makes more loose models. But for a short trip and with care it should work fine.
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby Lanceocletian » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:30 pm

Thanks for the thoughts and information. I agree, just using sheet metal in a tub or box would be about 1/4 of the cost.
Lanceocletian

Postby WickerNipple » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:40 pm

The approach a lot of us use now is to hollow out the tall foam trays of something like an army transport, line the bottom with sheet, and stack from there. A toolbox like what Jarrett used works too, as does something like this which is basically a professional version of the same thing.

I've no doubt the system works, just a question of whether you consider their expertise worth the price.
WickerNipple

Postby Lanceocletian » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:31 am

What type of glue do you use when adding sheet metal to the bottom of army transport foam?
Lanceocletian

Postby ZiggyQubert » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:17 am

I've found that in most cases you don't need to glue it down at all if you cut the metal to be slightly larger than the open foam area the edges will hold it in place
:spacesharks: :Hamelin: :Lilith: Brookie
ZiggyQubert
Site Admin

Postby WickerNipple » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:06 pm

I laid down some double sided tape.
WickerNipple

Postby Brother Suspectus » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:37 am

They are going to be to at Adepticon, looking forward to checking it out. Kinda expensive tho.
Brother Suspectus

Return to Warmonger Club