A few questions from an aspiring warlord.

General club news, events, questions, introductions and suchwot.

A few questions from an aspiring warlord.

Postby Colonel Killing » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:57 pm

Hello,

I meet one of you Warmongers at the Strategist the other day who was nice enough to give me the website. Brother, Have I been looking for you guys. My old game crew have all moved away and I need my regular game fix.

I have painted what I think is a large and beautifully dangerous army of space marines. Other than one or two games with forced family members I have yet to get them on the field of battle.

I have been playing various wargames and RPG's for years. I read and love the WH40K fiction. I have read the intro rules and have a basic grasp of the action but I have yet to have a serious match.

I can't wait to bring my army to war but first a few questions...

Do I need to set up a match first or do I just show up on thursday?

Should I bring my whole army? I have hand made terrain. Some hills, forests, ruins, a bridge, etc. should I bring any of it?

Is it ok to play the basic game? Do I need all the codex books to play?

What time do you start? How long do you stay?

Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks to the Warmonger who spoke with me. And thanks for any advise for an aspiring warlaord. I look forward to battling you all.

...grim darkness...far future...ONLY WAR!
Colonel Killing

Re: A few questions from an aspiring warlord.

Postby Anger Worm » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:37 am

Hey, welcome to the site. The Warmonger Club is definitely your best bet for non-historical miniature gaming in the NYC area.

The main gaming night is on Thursdays. People start coming into the club around 2pm onwards, but most show up after 5 when they get off of work. The store kicks us out at 9pm on Thursdays, so a good chunk of us migrate to a nearby bar. This, imho, is the best way to get to know the folks at the club. The Strat also has open gaming on Saturdays after 10am til around 5:30. Definitely make plans ahead of time for the weekend as it's a crapshoot.

Right now we've got a Blood Bowl league going, so a pickup game of 40k is a bit harder to find than usual. Posting in our 40k section looking for a game is probably your best bet. The club sees a lot of different games played, so finding one or another can fluctuate depending on what the latest thing is. 40k 6th edition is pretty popular with our group, so you should be able to find a game if you make it known.

If you do arrange a game the typical point level is geared towards local grand tournaments. I believe 40k is currently running at 2000 points with a single allied force org. It's usual for folks to show up with an army and an army list ready (people don't gear lists towards their opponent, but rather towards the tournament meta). Bringing a rulebook and your relevant codex is also recommended.

You do not need to bring terrain, the club has plenty.
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby WickerNipple » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:10 pm

As Jarrett said above getting a game over the next month or so may be harder than usual as lots of us are playing Blood Bowl, and a pack of folks just came back from a 40k tourney.

Unsure what you mean by "the basic game" ~ you don't need to own any of the codexes except the one you're using, but other people likely will.

Might be best to come down and meet everyone first, especially if you're new to the game. Some folks come in later and are looking for smaller games, too.
WickerNipple

Postby Colonel Killing » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:12 pm

Thanks guys. I look forward to meeting you all. Hey, I have a couple of the old styrofoam BB sets and painted teams. Is that good for any thing?
Colonel Killing

Postby Anger Worm » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:25 pm

Yeah, it's good for joining our league and playing some blood bowl! We've got plenty of pitches available, so all you need is a team. Check out the Blood Bowl section on our forum for league rules and how to access the team management if you're interested in joining. Otherwise just show up on a Thursday, hang out and watch games.
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Return to Warmonger Club