Menoth Color Scheme

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Menoth Color Scheme

Postby Daggermouth » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:30 am

Ok, here's my first test model. A couple of things that I know:

1. The inconsistency in the blue was caused by experimentation with washes in an early step in the paint job. I will be trying to achieve the blue on the models left shoulder (i.e. right side of the picture) and upper chest armor.
2. The white is a touch sloppy. This is also an "order of operations" problem that I think I can easily fix. Also, the white that I used was a pearlescent white, which I didn't realize until I was almost done. I think I'll keep it.
3. You can't really see the gems in the pic, but I'm thinking a mostly black building up to burning orange.

Thoughts?

Ian
Daggermouth

Re: Menoth Color Scheme

Postby Daggermouth » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:12 pm

Basing suggestions would be particularly helpful. My MO is pretty boring earthy grit with some static grass and I'd like to try and spice it up somehow. My Cryx are snow based, so that is out. Any thoughts?
Ian
Daggermouth

Postby Guy In Suit » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:22 pm

Not to late to pop him on a dragonforge base and paint it in a contrasting color.

The deeper blue looks really good.

I'd consider swapping the metallic silver and gold for different colors - NMM or otherwise. They look dull next to the bright blue/white.
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby Daggermouth » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:00 pm

Yeah, I'm definitely considering going for dragonforge or other such bases...

I understand the odd contrast between my bright white/blue/yellow with the metallics, but I don't really want to get into the time commitment of NMM. Any suggestions for other ways to achieve the effect? I should say, the sword is not highlighted at all in this pic.
Ian
Daggermouth

Postby Guy In Suit » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:13 pm

You can just paint them yellow and grey and highlight as normal and I think it would look cool - especially the gold.
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby Anger Worm » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:09 pm

Looks good! A brighter or thicker highlight (silver mixed with white for silver, gold + silver for the gold) might make it look a bit less dull if that's a concern. I like the yellow-mustard color on the tabards. I'd do most of your fabrics that way.
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Menoth Color Scheme

Postby Daggermouth » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:59 pm

Thanks, I like the mustard yellow a lot too. I was talking to Lee earlier and I think I'm going to do broken tile floor based made from plasticard and basing grit between the cracks. I can't really spring for a full army worth of $1 a pop bases.
Ian
Daggermouth

Return to Modeling and Painting