Tau Work in Progress

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Tau Work in Progress

Postby GreyDragoon » Wed May 29, 2013 11:41 am

Hey guys!

Thought I'd get motivated with the remains of my army (especially with the escalation league coming up) and take a few before pictures of my army. I'm basecoating everything not basecoated today, and then getting into painting everything needed in order of need for the escalation league then completing the remaining cool non-escalation items like the Tetras and Sensor Towers (damn the new Taros Campaign rules..) as time allows. Figure I'll make this a working post and put up new pictures as each group or set of models is completed or noticeably moves on to the next step.

Thoughts/suggestions are more than welcome!

Thanks,

Kenny

Edit: Need to add new pictures.
Last edited by GreyDragoon on Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GreyDragoon

Re: Tau Work in Progress

Postby GreyDragoon » Wed May 29, 2013 3:38 pm

Off to a rough start. First Chaos Black primer spray has worked but dried much lighter than expected. Have had to do more layering than usual but OK so far. Unfortunately the second can is a bum can, spraying out in splotches and drops instead of an actual light spray as expected, will have to return to the store on that one. Hoping the first can lasts through at least the finecast items since the black primer pots from GW aren't supposed to be used on finecast according to the folks at the store.

*grump* not a great start. Hoping to post some pictures later though of the first group.
GreyDragoon

Postby WickerNipple » Wed May 29, 2013 4:38 pm

That's a lot of Tau!

GW sprays give lots of people fits, not to mention it's wildly over priced.

I recommend Krylon for primer. Dirt cheap and works great imo.
WickerNipple

Postby GreyDragoon » Wed May 29, 2013 10:06 pm

Thanks Wicker, once I return this full can (sprayed paint all over my hands and such, lovely.) I'll go with Krylon from here on out most certainly.

Any suggestions on the Purity Seal/finish for a matte spray finish? I haven't bought a can of anything for that final step.

And yes, quite a few Tau! Not included in the pic are R'myr, 36 kroot, 12 hounds, and 3 XV-9s with burst cannons. I feel like my only problem with this overall army is that I'm lacking ML support when I can't use my FW Tetras and sensor towers.. which I'm thinking about ditching now in most games due to the ridiculous nerf they got hit with.
GreyDragoon

Postby WickerNipple » Wed May 29, 2013 11:00 pm

GreyDragoon wrote:Any suggestions on the Purity Seal/finish for a matte spray finish? I haven't bought a can of anything for that final step.

Testor's Dullcote is the only matte spray I ever use. People have complained that the most recent formulation isn't as good, but I haven't had reasons to complain.
WickerNipple

Postby GreyDragoon » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:59 am

Minor delay, was hoping to have first coats done today on the remaining 3 but got distracted into finally creating my standing desk. Woo go health..

Updates tomorrow on the wrap ups in prep for Thursday!
GreyDragoon

Postby GreyDragoon » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:57 am

Rippy the Riptide is looking good. Starting basing work for him and will wrap up his Sept Symbol on the chest and shield today. Also finished doing vehicle/skimmer bases and moving on to wrapping up basing for my first 12 man FW squad tonight.
GreyDragoon

Postby GreyDragoon » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:32 pm

Retooling this army because of the new Farsight Enclave changes! Good stuff coming, just purchased some of the new suits and hoping to pick up an ebay auction for the remaining 5 I need on Sunday. Will take fresh pictures of the current lineup tonight. Also pouring the water effect material tonight into the two riptides that are painted so will post pictures of them tomorrow once that is done curing.
GreyDragoon

Return to Modeling and Painting