Grey Knights in 6th

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Grey Knights in 6th

Postby Daggermouth » Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:19 pm

Ok, so back in December a friend was going to give me his old Tyranid army, so I started a thread discussing them in 6th. However, things changed, other armies changed hands, and I ended up picking up his old Grey Knights as a mutual friend in CA was more interested in the 'nids. I came into the following:

22 x Terminators: Primarily with storm bolter / halberd. A few swords, 3 psycannons and 1 incinerator
16 x strike force or purifiers: 2 x psycannons, 2 x incinerators, mostly halberds a few swords
1 x dreadknight: New in box, I love this model

So, my question is, to those who know about 6th ed, can terminator armies work for GK's? I could also use them as paladins to go full on Draigo-wing. A lot of what I'm seeing from GK's is henchman based Coteaz lists with any number of different allies. Also, who would be the best ally choice? I assume either a very mobile shooting element (i.e. necron, etc.), or a faction with a lot of bodies and shooting (i.e. guard).
Ian
Daggermouth

Re: Grey Knights in 6th

Postby WickerNipple » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:30 pm

It's not a very good edition for terminators in my opinion, but if you do want terminators they should at least be the storm-shield variety that GKs don't have access to.

Draigo-wing has never been particularly good, but it terrifies the bejezus out of people who are bad at 40k.

Henchmen lists and razorback spam are still good GK builds.

Necrons are likely the best choice for GK allies if you don't mind the mindnumbing idiocy of making that fluff canon.
WickerNipple

Postby Guy In Suit » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:17 am

Or just be one of the cool kids who plays a terrible army! :*
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby elrodogg » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:53 am

Paladins have a place in the game. Unfortunately for terminators there is alot of plasma going around. Without shields they simply die too quickly. Also working against terminators, there are lots armies that take mass bodies with bolters around these days. The way to beat 2+ save troops has and will be to force them to keep taking saves.

Paladins work somewhat better because they are cheaper on a per wound basis.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby GreyDragoon » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:12 pm

Honestly, you could do worse. And if your plan is for local fun games and training as opposed to winning tournaments then you should totally learn and get good with your Grey Knights!

Besides, at the rate they are plowing through new codices.. you may find all of your GKs will have some new tricks up their sleeves by the time you're painted up and ready to go. Although I imagine there's a lot of speculation on what the order of the new codices will likely be during the next two years. Would seem like Orks, Dark Eldar, Black Templar, and Sisters of Battle/Witch Hunters all have more pressing needs for updating.
GreyDragoon

Postby WickerNipple » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:22 pm

Release schedule for the rest of the year will be:
Apocalypse
Space Marines
Tyranids
WickerNipple

Postby GreyDragoon » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:23 pm

Oh really! Where do they place the announcements like that?
GreyDragoon

Postby WickerNipple » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:30 pm

They don't. It's all little birdies n spies. But release info sources have been pretty accurate this edition.
WickerNipple

Postby GreyDragoon » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:35 pm

Got it. Well lets hope "Space Marines" covers more than just vanilla 'rines. Could make for a nice sizeable update that way.

What's left off the list then? Orks, Necrons, Dark Eldar, Sisters/Witch Hunters, and then the various flavors of Rines that weren't covered in the Space Marines update?
GreyDragoon

Grey Knights in 6th

Postby Daggermouth » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:36 pm

Maybe the way to go about it would be to use the GK's as an allied detachment for a different, more bodies intensive, army?
Ian
Daggermouth

Next

Return to Warhammer 40,000