Upcoming Tournament List

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Upcoming Tournament List

Postby GreyDragoon » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:03 pm

Hey guys,

So JCress and I are going to NJ for a tournament on the 27th, and I want to make sure I represent properly :)

It's 1850, unique missions, and Forgeworld is allowed. Here's what I'm thinking about rolling with atm.

Battlesuit Commander w/twin missile pods, Iridium, Neuroweb, Targetlock, and 2 ML drones. (Attach him to the ML Drone squad)

Ethereal

2 Riptides w/ Ion Cannon, Interceptor and Skyfire each. Also have 1 as TLFusion and the other as TLPlasma.

4 Squads of 9 FW

1 Squad of 20 Kroot w/ Sniper Rounds and 1 Hound.

2 Squads of 2 Tetras. 1 TL and 2 sensor spines each so they have +1 cover save, jink, and can move freely around terrain for potentially better cover and for hiding.

1 Squad of 5 ML Drones. Gives this squad w/ the commander BS 5, and 7 ML shots for an average 6 hits on a target per turn from this unit.

1 Skyray w/ Disruption and Sensor Spines (no need to move and jink, just plant it in appropriate cover to start off and enjoy +1 to whatever that cover is)

2 Hammerheads w/ Railguns, Disruption Pods, Submunitions, and Blacksun Filters.

1 ADL w/ Quad Cannon

Thoughts? Weaknesses? I have commander R'ylia, 3 XV-9 TL dual Burst Cannon models, and some other fun toys. could field stealth suits, or potentially one squad of 2-3 suits in the elite section. There's still some space for additions/changes here. Thinking I'd park the commander at the quadgun and allow the drones to jump forward and then back over the ADL for some additional range on their MLs as needed, and depending on the enemy either bubble wrap the gun line with kroot or outflank for (hopefully) later game objective grabbing.
GreyDragoon

Re: Upcoming Tournament List

Postby deFl0 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:05 pm

Seems pretty nasty. I feel like eldar would really help this list. One farseer with 2 re roll spells can really help the rip tides. (btw why a fusion gun on the rippy? I feel like you don't want to get anywhere near vehicles, or is it drop pod dreadnought defense).

Eldar also offer jet bikes which I think a fast scoring unit could go far in this list.

Finally, if you can take Forgeworld, all I gotta say is... OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooo Barracuda!
deFl0

Postby GreyDragoon » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:34 am

Oh man.. let me just say if I win with this list I will go to the larger tourney with 1-2 Barracudas. Screw the competition. Just a bunch of bucks to spend, and some serious time painting!

I was sooo Eldar as allies in the past.. but now I don't get great anti-psychic defenses for stupid cheap. Bummer. But the various spells off a L2-3 Seer seem pretty damned neat. What would I drop for them?

For the fusion gun I understand the sentiment. If you're gonna hunt termies the plasma gun is better anyway, etc. But in the always fun case of Land Raiders I wanted to have something that can run up and punch a VERY big hole in it and make it go away. Thoughts?

Kenny
GreyDragoon

Postby GreyDragoon » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:20 pm

Modified for the tournament based on feedback.

Battlesuit Commander w/ Iridium Armor, Puretide Neuro Chip , Neuroweb, Targetlock, and 2 ML drones. (Attach him to the ML Drone squad and sit him on the Quad Gun)

Ethereal

2 Riptides w/ Ion Cannon, Interceptor and Skyfire each. Also have 1 as TLFusion and the other as TLPlasma.

4 Squads of 9 FW

1 Squad of 20 Kroot w/ Sniper Rounds and 1 Hound.

2 Squads of 2 Tetras. 2 disruption pods and 2 sensor spines each so they have +1 cover save, jink, and can move freely around terrain for potentially better cover and for hiding.

1 Squad of 4 ML Drones. Gives this squad w/ the commander BS 5, and 7 ML shots for an average 6 hits on a target per turn from this unit.

1 Skyray w/ Disruption and Sensor Spines (no need to move and jink, just plant it in appropriate cover to start off and enjoy +1 to whatever that cover is)

2 Hammerheads w/ Railguns, Disruption Pods, Submunitions, and Blacksun Filters.

1 ADL w/ Quad Cannon

Remaining throughts are that I could drop the kroot squad to half size (removing much of their bubble wrap potential and leaving them as an outflanker) which would free up 66points for fun and profit. I like the idea of a jetbike squad (3) and a farseer but I don't have any available to me. Could probably fit it in by replacing a FW squad and dropping half the kroot I'd think, although I don't have an Eldar book. Might anyone have a FS and Jetbike basic squad and a guide book to loan me Thursday night for use over the weekend?

Kenny
GreyDragoon

Postby GreyDragoon » Sun Jul 28, 2013 1:32 pm

So the final list actually worked pretty well! 3 wins. But the way the scoring worked I kept winning by secondary/tertiary rules and not earning enough tournament points at the end for more than 3rd place. Modifying the list further now and making a FW/non-FW version.

I'm thinking perhaps my 2 hammerheads was a bit redundant. Perhaps one with Longstrike and remove the second? With just a little bit of maneuvering I can get an 5 man stealth squad with 4 BC and 1 Fusion gun and a ML/TL. Gives me a pretty solid infiltrator with a 2+ cover save, 16 s5ap5 shots and 1 s8ap1 shot within 18" and a single additional ML at 36". Because of how critical getting/denying objectives was, I'm thinking having this flexibility would be key, since the single Hammerhead is nowhere near as flexibility and one could argue could more easily be taken out of the game.

That said, I definitely noticed how much less terrain were on these tourney boards! Wouldn't be very hard at all for the opposition to just deny me getting my infiltrators into solid early placement. And the extra Hammerhead does give me solid redundancy on getting those first turn vehicle kills or for further horde control.
GreyDragoon

Postby WickerNipple » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:13 pm

Suits are better than Stealth Squads unless you're doing some very particular outflank/deep strike shenanigans.
WickerNipple

Postby GreyDragoon » Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:20 pm

Not a bad idea at all. If I did that I would end up with 3 Suits lumped into my commander squad at the quad gun. They'd have 2 missile pods each and target locks. So that command squad, while tethered to the gun by the commander, could stretch forward with JSJ and 12 S7ap4 shots to toss around in a 36" bubble instead of the 16 s5ap5 shots and 1 s8ap1 shot within 18". Also gives me 6 ablative wounds on that group before losing ML drones. And in the end I'd have enough points to convert 2 kroot into firewarriors.
GreyDragoon

Return to Warhammer 40,000