New (kinda) player

Moderator: Anger Worm

New (kinda) player

Postby Tzeentch1 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:31 pm

Hey, Im a freahmen college student moving to new york city. I used to play warhammer a ton a few years ago, but I've always thought of playing fantasy on and off. Recently I've been giving some real serious thought to starting a fantasy army, either ogres or the new lizardmen. If I were to play again, I was wondering how accepting the community here would be to a relatively new player. Also, I was wondering about the easiness of actually playing the game, seeing as Thursday afternoons and Saturdays are the game playing days.
Tzeentch1

Re: New (kinda) player

Postby elrodogg » Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:48 am

Welcome to the area. Our fantasy gaming has been pretty hit or miss since 8th edition was released... alot of people have dropped out of fantasy altogether. If you want a fantasy game, best to post here on the forums looking for a game, there isn't enough guaranteed attendance to ensurea a game if you're looking for a pickup. 40k has had pretty good attendance recently as we're in the 3rd month of a summer league.

Regardless, come on down and say hi.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby loftus » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:01 am

Hey, I'm a regular fantasy player! always up for a game. A few of the other fantasy players are in Serbia for a big tournament at the moment. Post if you when your free.

Cheers Will
loftus

Postby Anger Worm » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:26 pm

Fantasy has recovered somewhat from its initial dropoff. We have a large group that regularly attends GTs in the Northeast, and it's not too difficult to get a game these days. If you're looking to start a new army I'd recommend lizards over ogres as I think the latter have fallen behind the curve with the release of warriors and high elves, and their composition restrictions are heavy handed. Lizards have always been a very flexible, interesting force.
Jarrett
Anger Worm

Postby Shonkhor » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:53 pm

Hey, I think it's worth suggesting that if you're just starting out and not invested in any game yet, to take a look at Warmachine/Hordes. A lot more Warmachine gets played on Thursday nights, the buy-in is cheaper, and many think it is the better game, especially if you're interested in tournament play. Not to dissuade you from WHFB if that's what appeals, just to let you know that there are other options out there if you don't know about them already.

Cheers, Will
Shonkhor

Postby Guy In Suit » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:16 pm

Warmahordes is crap all the cool kids play Malifaux. :Teddy:

But Fantasy still has a large tournament community... Still the largest behind 40k AFAIK.
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby mattbird » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:03 pm

+1 for Malifaux. Best game, smallest commitment (6 models) to play.
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby Larro » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:18 am

We'll never get any new people to play WHFB with this kind of sabotage! ;)

- Larru
"Just being born means you've lost to Larro. Or haven't you gotten the memo yet?" - Nidal

"Larry was right. I know he never gets tired of hearing that." - Canterman
Larro

Postby elrodogg » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:58 am

Larro wrote:We'll never get any new people to play WHFB with this kind of sabotage!

:lol:

Perhaps your regular attendance will inspire fantasy gaming.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Return to Warhammer Fantasy