205pt Kill Teams - Mechanicon

Moderator: The Gunslinger

205pt Kill Teams - Mechanicon

Postby GreyDragoon » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:26 pm

Hey folks,

Been curious about this upcoming series of 205pt Kill Team games at Mechanicon. Here's a link:
http://thewarstoreweekend.com/playerpac ... -rules.pdf

I've been looking over the rules but without HQ choice or access to the riptide (for pretty obvious reasons) the Tau do have some slight deficiencies. Was wondering if you guys had any suggestions. Here are my two ideas so far.

I could take a stealth squad of 5 with 4 burst cannons, 1 fusion gun, a Sha'sui and two marker drones and make the best of cover since there's no "ignore cover" special rule available in the special kill teams traits. That leaves me with 16 extra points, which could be a drone controller for one burst cannon guy (boost those two ML drones to hitting on 4s if they stay in coherency to that model) and an ATS for another burst cannon guy, and a counterfire defense for the fusion guy. Then I just need to pick my 3 special traits to take, armorbane, flesh bane, and it will not die certainly being high on the potential list to hand out although I do worry a bit about hordes with this list.

My next idea would be to take a single XV-9 with the dual TL Burst cannons (so 8 TL 5/5 shots that he can split between two targets if they are within 2" of each other out to 18" on a nice T5 W2 3+ Armor save platform with Hit+run) in the FA slot, then take a two man Crisis suit squad in the Elite slot. The XV-9 costs 80pts total leaving me 125 to use between the others. My thought here would be one suit with 2 Missile Pods and the other suit with perhaps 2 Plasma Rifles. I'm worried this group couldn't do a damned thing against hordes though. In which case perhaps dropping the pods or the rifles on one of the suits for 2 Flamers (S4 AP5) and giving him the Torrent special rule may be my best option to whittle down horde players quickly.

Thoughts?
GreyDragoon

Re: 205pt Kill Teams - Mechanicon

Postby WickerNipple » Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:41 pm

I don't have any experience at all playing games at that point level, but I'd imagine stealth suits would be ridiculously nasty.
WickerNipple

Re: 205pt Kill Teams - Mechanicon

Postby GreyDragoon » Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:10 pm

Agreed. I love the 4+ all the time and 2+ when in any cover. My worry is that they only have 5 guns total in the team at 205 pts (with 2 ML drones) and since each guy only has one gun they can't split fire onto two target models at the same time, and are stuck with an 18" range. So beast/CC swarms could easily overwhelm them.

The crisis suit team has less models (5 total instead of 7) but has 3 varying ranges and the dual flamer suit with torrent can be a massive anti-horde player if done right I would hope.
GreyDragoon

Return to Warhammer 40,000