Need Help Deciding!

Moderator: Anger Worm

Need Help Deciding!

Postby Corvix » Sun Sep 29, 2013 4:54 pm

Hey all,

Just moved to the city for a new job. Wanted to get an idea of the meta here. I'm more interested in the actual play side of the hobby versus the "hobbying" part, so I'm quite okay with dropping my existing war-game for another if it provides more opportunities of play. Now I already have an existing standard Fantasy army (2400 pts) but my question is, is it likely, if I stay with fantasy, that I'll significant play? What do I mean as significant? I'd like to play at least 1-2 games a week, obviously more, time willing. Scouring your forums I realize 40k is more prevalent, although it's never really tickled my fancy, I could sell my army and build up a 40k force. There's also that WarmaHordes lingering around. I'm not interested in having multiple war-games, I'd like to pick one and stick with it. I know there are variables involved, 9th edition on the horizon, 40k is unknown territory to me, etc. But like I said, I'm looking for whatever will get more playtime. Thanks you guys! Look forward to hearing from you guys. Either way, I'll be shooting by this Thursday to get to know the regulars, maybe a beer or whatever.
Corvix

Re: Need Help Deciding!

Postby dooms33ker » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:08 pm

Welcome to the New York! We generally meet on Thursday evenings with folks arriving between 4 and 6 pm, and with dice (or cards!) down at 8:45 or so, at which point many folks migrate the festivities to a local pub.

Fantasy is generally played at 2500 points, with some deviation depending on if certain folks are prepping for a tournament. 40k is more popular at the moment, but lots of club members own a Fantasy army and there is talk of Fantasy seeing a lot more play in the near future. Time will tell.

As far as non-GW games are concerned, Malifaux is a wonderful, inexpensive card-based skirmish game set in a western/steampunk universe, and it just saw release of its second edition last week. Now I know you said you'd like to stick to a single wargame, but Malifaux is cheap enough to play as a supplementary game to something bigger.

Needing only the core rulebook and about $60 worth of miniatures, it might even be a better game to get into than Warhammer 40k, which can cost an upwards of $400-$500 to play these days, and it has enough of a following at the club so that finding games shouldn't be a problem.

If you'd like to play a game of fantasy, I certainly can oblige, perhaps the week after next.
Max
dooms33ker

Re: Need Help Deciding!

Postby Corvix » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:47 pm

Hey,

Thanks for the speedy response! Gives me a lot to think about. I personally love fantasy, even though it's GW's bastard son. Hopefully 9th edition gives it the "umph" it needs. I have buyers lined up for the army if that's the route I choose to go. So, I'll wait for a couple more people to chime in before making a decision. Thanks again for your input. Never even considered Malifaux.
Corvix

Return to Warhammer Fantasy