Suggestions on Orc list?

Moderator: Anger Worm

Suggestions on Orc list?

Postby gjnoronh » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:34 am

Here's what I am thinking about for daboyz. Wondering if folks had suggestions. A green gun line playing very defensively is the idea. Hoping with a proliferation of expensive troops and single models I can pull in a lot of vps before getting stuck in. Gobbo lord is the general sitting in the blorc bunker.

Savage Orc Great Shaman: Lucky Shrunken Head; Level 4 Wizard. 255
Goblin Warboss: Talisman of Preservation; Enchanted Shield; Biting Blade; Ironcurse Icon; light armour. 133

Night Goblin Shaman: Dispel Scroll; Level 2 Wizard. 110
Orc Big Boss: Tormentor Sword; Obsidian Amulet; Dragonhelm; shield; Battle Standard. 127
Night Goblin Shaman: Warrior Bane. 55

40 Night Goblins: Standard Bearer; short bows; Netters. 175
1 Fanatic 25
1 Fanatic 25
1 Fanatic 25
20 Night Goblins: Standard Bearer; short bows. 70
1 Fanatic 25
1 Fanatic 25
1 Fanatic 25
30 Savage Orc Big 'Uns: Musician; Standard Bearer; additional hand weapons. 350

20 Black Orcs: Black Orc Boss; Musician; Standard Bearer; Standard of Discipline. 290
Goblin Spear Chukka 35
Goblin Spear Chukka 35
Goblin Spear Chukka 35

Goblin Rock Lobber 85
Doom Diver Catapult 80
Snotling Pump Wagon: spiky roller. 60
Snotling Pump Wagon: spiky roller. 60
Goblin Rock Lobber 85
Doom Diver Catapult 80
Mangler Squigs 65
Mangler Squigs 65

2,400 points

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gjnoronh

Re: Suggestions on Orc list?

Postby KevinC » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:08 pm

Wow! Looks nasty and fun! I think you'll do well! Good luck, let me know how is goes...
Common Goblins iz da best!!

Check out my Gobbos at:http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_Warpath/index.php?showtopic=28856

'I am the son of Aenarion, and where my blade falls, death follows.'
- Malekith, Prince of Nagarythe
KevinC

Postby Fool » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:39 pm

If the block of 40 night goblins is supposed to be a tar pit then leave them with shields instead of short bows.

I'd consider making the BSB a Savage Orc for the free 5+ ward when he's with the Shaman.

Level 2 Night Goblin Shaman is a little weird to me. I *love* level 1's, but paying for the upgrade to level 2 when you can just add another level 1 was always underwhelming imo.

Lastly I know everyone does it, but fencer's blades on the shaman really adds to his durability. Plus throwing out 6 S8-10 attacks with Fist up is nothing to sneeze at.
http://www.dogbark.com
Shamelessly promoting the company I work for, host your website with us.
Fool

Postby Leenus » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:09 pm

I'd drop the pump wagons as they are pretty much easy points for magic missiles or light shooting and given that people use big units or 1+ armor save MC, they don't really do much.

I'd also swap black orcs for trolls. Again, the meta is MC with high armor save or hard to hit DPs. Troll spit answers both and they don't get stomped, while black orcs just die (gg regen).
Leenus

Postby Lanceocletian » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:02 pm

I agree-

The best combat elements in the O&G are SOBU, trolls, and NG with nets and GW heroes. Trolls are superior to black orcs. I have been working on a defensive O&G list myself and may run it for Da Boyz. A common problem I am finding is that I bleed points as many of the war machines will die to various things along with the chaff (wold riders, chariots, manglers, pump wagons, etc). It's almost certain you will give-up 400-750 points between machines and chaff, which forces you to extract 1K or more of points from your opponent which can be tough. I've been trying to minimize the chaff to reduce the points that I am giving-up, while adding more to the combat units to make sure I win engagements. Moreover, I don't find the chaff really is providing more rounds of shooting. I still get hit in turn two or three regardless of squigs, manglers, and chariots.
Lanceocletian

Postby dooms33ker » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:30 am

The one notch against the trolls is that although they are great for the points they can potentially be a liability if your general/bsb is not in the right place. Rare, but I guess it can happen. Black orcs are the exact opposite, they are the most reliable unit in the army, though not the most cost effective one.

I'd go with the black orcs, to be a little different if nothing else.
Max
dooms33ker

Postby gjnoronh » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:15 am

Thanks all the theory with the blorcs was to give me a rear line non animosity/ITP bunker that allows the +1 leadership banner rather than thinking of them as a combat unit. However they aren't points efficient.

Pump wagons with the no armor save upgrade worth it? Or just forget it?
Not a lot of hammers in this list so wondering what I can do when we get stuck in to keep the list from being ground out.

Drop the blorcs and basically all my leadership node stuff will end up In the savage orcs. Requiring a blorc bsb I think at that point. Kind of hoping I can keep the leadership bits out of combat. Though last time I ran orcs I ran a 20 ng bunker in the back for a gobbo general and bsb. If I did that no worries about keeping the blorcs.
gjnoronh

Postby elrodogg » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:13 am

The problem OnG have is that their survivable/pt efficient hammers are all s5. Savage orc big uns on the charge, trolls and squig herds never get up there in strength. I think that a can opener warboss in the SOBU unit would certainly help a ton. Either the bsb or the warboss should be a black ork to stop the SOBU from suffering animosity.

I love the pump wagons. They almost always die, but they usually make their points back... usually by offering protection/guarding against enemy chaff trying to get your warmachines. Their best role imo is that of backfield protectors of warmachines. Don't even bother advancing them on an enemy battle line as anything other than frenzy bait off to the flank. I wouldn't spend anything on upgrades though.

I was told I would need a redirector or two, and that advice was sound. A couple of solo gobbos heroes on wolves in a list are golden. Give you a fast unit that can go warmachine hunting, doesn't have to worry animosity, and can move 18 to get into a good redirect position.

In terms of overall list construction... OnG need 3 units mainline units these days IMO. SOBU, some sort of gobbo tarpit and then a hitty unit of your choice... my next list will have a unit of 10 or so trolls in it. I am not a fan of black orks, as there are too many units that simply deal a ton of casualties before they get to swing. At their cost, you can't afford them not to swing. Trade em in for trolls.

I find spear thowers underwelming. Spend the same points on chariots, deploy them on the flanks and don't do anything other than threaten fast cav/flyer units.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby Fool » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:10 am

elrodogg wrote:I find spear thowers underwelming. Spend the same points on chariots, deploy them on the flanks and don't do anything other than threaten fast cav/flyer units.

I'm a big fan of this style, but it doesn't play into a "defensive" orc list very well. You can run 3 single wolf chariots, 3 boar chariots, 4 pump wagons and 2 manglers, but that type of list runs across the field to get points (exactly as Larry described) because you're going to lose most of the chariots/wagons/warmachines in the end.

While I don't take Spear Throwers, they're still good for taking out Large targets or even MC. You just need 4-6 of them to be really effective.
http://www.dogbark.com
Shamelessly promoting the company I work for, host your website with us.
Fool

Postby gjnoronh » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:21 am

Not sure I have enough trolls. But here's an idea taking the feedback.

Savage Orc Great Shaman: Lucky Shrunken Head; Fencer's Blades; Level 4 Wizard. 290
Orc Warboss: Armour of Destiny; Sword of Might. 185

Night Goblin Shaman: Dispel Scroll. 75
Orc Big Boss: Tormentor Sword; Obsidian Amulet; Dragonhelm; shield; Battle Standard. 127
Night Goblin Shaman 50
Goblin Big Boss: Giant Wolf. 47
Goblin Big Boss: Giant Wolf. 47

38 Night Goblins: Standard Bearer; short bows; Netters. 169
1 Fanatic 25
1 Fanatic 25
1 Fanatic 25
20 Night Goblins: Standard Bearer; short bows. 70
1 Fanatic 25
1 Fanatic 25
30 Savage Orc Big 'Uns: Musician; Standard Bearer; additional hand weapons. 350

Goblin Spear Chukka 35