Sharing my game 1 exp at the Maplewood Hobby tourney

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Sharing my game 1 exp at the Maplewood Hobby tourney

Postby The Gunslinger » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:46 pm

This last Sat vs Taucrons: 4 flyers with warriors inside, riptide with HQ suit guy giving him ignore cover, TL & something else, 3 missile broadsides with drones, 2 annihilation barges & 1 command barge. 4 objectives, vanguard deployment.

1,750. I had 2 wave serps: scat.laz & holo f, 10 wraithguard, 3 spiritseers (1 with the helm of X: autopass LOS & w.guard can accept challenges, 10 d.avengers, 10 scorps: 1 exarch with claw, 7 rangers, w.lord with scat.laz, br.lance, & sword, 10 warp spiders, fire prism with sp.stones & holo f.

I got the +1 armor & run 3" powers on 1 guy, so I put him with the scorpions, fail Ld on the +1 armor, got run though, infiltrated.

One of the worst games I ever had, certainly the cheesiest army I faced ever. Belonged to a 14 yr old. His 1st tourney.

Some other armies (9 people total), had at least 1 riptide. Converted allied riptides, to match the main army, seems to be a trend. Saw a riptide with a wraithlord head & such.

I finally bought the Eldar flyer a few weeks ago, 1) as a kid, I always loved the inverted wing jets, so had to own this. 2) I need an anti flyer solution, besides quad gun wall. I guess I should start building & painting them. :)
:2guns:
The Gunslinger

Re: Sharing my game 1 exp at the Maplewood Hobby tourney

Postby The Gunslinger » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:49 pm

FYI, now that I think about it, it was NecroTau, he had a unit of kroot too.
The Gunslinger

Postby dooms33ker » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:00 pm

Rules for allies are what did 40k in for me. I suppose the rationale behind them was that it would give weaker armies a chance to cover their soft spots and be able to compete with the top tier armies. In practice, however, I find that it just makes already strong armies ridiculously strong, and arbitrarily forces you to take allies to be able to compete.

And if you need proof beyond just your empirical experience, just look at recent GT results: the top 7-10 players brought allies of some form.
Max
dooms33ker

Postby The Gunslinger » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:09 am

Knowing that GW is a modeling company, before a gaming company, they did it to sell more models. Also, people that are more interested in the look or idea of certain models, but didn't want to invest in a whole army of them, can now justify the purchase. But obviously, the tourney scene just went crazy with the idea. It's sad.
The Gunslinger

Postby The Gunslinger » Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:11 am

Also, there's nothing stopping us from running a non-allies tourney. I was even thinking of limiting flyers to 2.
The Gunslinger

Postby elrodogg » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:59 am

The Gunslinger wrote:This last Sat vs Taucrons: 4 flyers with warriors inside, riptide with HQ suit guy giving him ignore cover, TL & something else, 3 missile broadsides with drones, 2 annihilation barges & 1 command barge. 4 objectives, vanguard deployment.

1,750. I had 2 wave serps: scat.laz & holo f, 10 wraithguard, 3 spiritseers (1 with the helm of X: autopass LOS & w.guard can accept challenges, 10 d.avengers, 10 scorps: 1 exarch with claw, 7 rangers, w.lord with scat.laz, br.lance, & sword, 10 warp spiders, fire prism with sp.stones & holo f.

I have some takeaways from this.

First, you haven't played many 6e games where you've seen fliers. They're a part of the game and you admit your army had limited flier defense. So of course they are going to be rough on you.

Second, you haven't played new Tau. They're, IMO at least, the best allied force in the game. I can understand the hesitation on wanting to play against allies, but that's how the edition is played now. While it allows you to field virtually any style of list that you want, it does a decent job of murdering fluff.

Last, your army isn't ready for 6e. Eldar have a number of tools at their disposal to deal with what you're seeing. A wraithknight will scoff at most of the incoming firepower that the taucrons can throw at you (riptides? lol). Your scorpions in this list are completely unsupported. Most eldar builds army want to play a mid-range game... and Scorpions don't do that. IMO, scorpions need a specific build to be effective. An entire list built around close pressure and hand to hand from the onset of the game. Last, outside of scatter laser serpents... nothing in your army shoots at fliers. Either look at allies or get the plane painted.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby The Gunslinger » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:26 am

You have to admit though, 4 cron flyers is really annoying. Most armies will have a hard time with that, & the rest of the list. I shouldn't feel pressured to join the power-gaming, list-spamming, point-and-click league of min-max'ers.

With that in mind, I have changed my list for the new book, as you've noted, but 1 flimsy Eldar flyer is not the answer to his list. 3 is still not an equal match. Maybe 3 & a quad gun. The answer shouldn't be: I need to min-max-power-game or shut up. Maybe comp should make a come back like one guy their suggested. They weren't all power gamers there. Some of them shared my sentiments.

My scorpions had a good delivery for a turn 2 assault, which they did & reached his broadsides. Infiltrate & 2+ save. Could've ridden a wave serp too & charged the riptide.
The Gunslinger

Postby The Gunslinger » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:29 am

Also wanted to add that a wraithknight are both T8 & 3+. 2 wraithlords are probably more versatile than 1 knight, being 2 units, but less mobile.
The Gunslinger

Postby elrodogg » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:42 am

The Gunslinger wrote:You have to admit though, 4 cron flyers is really annoying. Most armies will have a hard time with that, & the rest of the list. I shouldn't feel pressured to join the power-gaming, list-spamming, point-and-click league of min-max'ers.

The meta has changed. Seeing 4 fliers in a list isnt' that odd. Alot of armies couldn't care less about 4 necron fliers or view them as prey. I am definitely not saying you need to be a min/maxer, but if you aren't prepared to deal with some of the top tier allied combos, then expect to be beaten by them.

Re: wraithknight v. wraithlord... The wraithknight has jump, so he can move up and engage the riptides or at least force it to reposition. With its size and weaponry, the actual location of the thing on the field isn't as important since it will still likely be able to blast whatever it needs to. In conjuction with the rest of an eldar army that's fast and dictates field position, it's far superior (imo at least).
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby Ancow » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:10 am

:cry:
Ancow

Next

Return to Warhammer 40,000