Sharing my game 1 exp at the Maplewood Hobby tourney

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Re: Sharing my game 1 exp at the Maplewood Hobby tourney

Postby The Gunslinger » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:28 am

Sorry about the typos above. :)

You're right about not facing the new Tau & flyers in general. I've gone up against 3 vendetta & tank spam & did ok. Struggled but I managed a win or tie.

The wknight has 2 guns that will force invul saves on the riptide, & so do my wlords, plus 2 scat lasers. I'd love to have the mobility but I have other units throwing shots & moving up that take punishment.

I just resent the cron flyer ability to break the disembark meant rules & squat on objectives at the bottom of the turn. There's nothing you can do about it except interceptor & skyfire, and it's not enough.

I'm glad we're hashing it out though. I definitely need more 6e games, so this helps. I'd like to start getting some Saturday games in since I've been working so many Thu's.
:2guns:
The Gunslinger

Postby The Gunslinger » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:36 am

elrodogg wrote:Alot of armies couldn't care less about 4 necron fliers or view them as prey.

Hmm... I'm guessing a lot of Tau armies. :) Please list this lot that you speak of?
The Gunslinger

Postby GreyDragoon » Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:41 am

A few suggestions if I may:

1) I wouldn't have any eldar foot that start off the game outside of a wave serp. Either bring them with a wave serp, or have specialty squads like swooping hawks or warp spiders that deep strike in. Get another wave serp if you are dedicated to bringing more.

2) Jetbikes can and will win games late-game for Eldar even if the game is going poorly, considering 3/4 matches are objective based. I'd work a few groups into your list.

3) Rangers and Scorps I feel have been fairly sub-par whenever I see them. They usually just get blasted off the board without doing much of anything.

4) If you're having air issues (and tourney-cron is almost 100% going to bring 3+ fliers to drop warriors on turn 4+) then an icarus cannon with aegis and a reaper exarch with quick shot and tank hunter is in your immediate future. That will solve anti-air issues for you, although you do need to be aware that the buffmander and riptide will be gunning for that model from turn one since you have a very good chance of knocking 1-2 fliers out as they come on the board. It also can thankfully contribute to knocking out any other vehicles on the board and putting dents in MCs

Against the army you described, the Wraith knight most likely would have been unstoppable for you. I doubt he could have bought it down, and with you charging it across the field and then going into melee (after taking potshots with the void gun to potentially eliminate the riptide/buffmander turn 1/2) you'd start squashing units one a turn.

Also your army doesn't "need" turn 1 to setup. You don't need buffs up and other things like that, and holo fields/serpent shields tend to keep your waves protected turn 1. Facing necrons I would, if I was you, always try to have them go first. Potentially going for the seize if they screw up their deployment/get too far forward. That bottom of turn warrior drop is a real game winner for them.

As for a no-allies 2 flier max tourney, hey my list wouldn't mind that at all :) but right now allies does work to a degree and brings out quite a few combinations. Tyranids may be breaking the whole thing coming up this December with their new codex as there are a number of things they might be getting that will allow them to run solo and kick butt while doing it. Also Eldar solo is still one of the most winning armies out there in the tourney scene, no need for allies on them. The seer council with wraith knights/wave serps is tough as nails if the dice gods don't crap all over it (sorry Pete!)
GreyDragoon

Postby WickerNipple » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:46 pm

Also, one Eldar flyer isn't even going to survive the turn it arrives facing typical interceptor heavy tau.
WickerNipple

Postby elrodogg » Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:49 pm

Eldar shouldn't have a problem eliminating lots of anti-air though. Aegis gun should be dead to wave serpent shooting. Eldar should be able to take down a skyray with long range anti-tank weapons... wraithknight/lord, fire prism, walkers, etc. all of those guys can take down the skyray.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby WickerNipple » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:08 pm

They should be able to eliminate one element of AA turn one. I certainly wouldn't expect them to take out four riptides or anything like that.
WickerNipple

Postby GreyDragoon » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:31 pm

I'm also cautious about using air superiority models. Sky Rays, Quad Guns, ICs, and most Skyfire-enabled ground models can still contribute against ground enemies. Meanwhile air, unless it's really kitted out like a Storm Raven or Vendetta, might not have much of an impact if your enemy didn't bring any air to the table. And as annoying as trip/quad cron fliers/vendettas/drakes can be, they're not exactly prolific in the current tourney scene due to Tau's ability to make an air-cav list cry on turn 2 and 3.

Essentially Tau have provided cover to many other lists in a tourney scene due to their ability to hand out an auto-loss or damn near to it to heavily air-reliant lists. Doesn't mean you shouldn't have anti-air of your own, but I'd make it ground based for the moment.
GreyDragoon

Postby The Gunslinger » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:59 pm

Ah, to air or not to air...

Thanks Kenny. That was a big help. Now that I think about it, wknight has a big advantage over 2 wlords in that if you put 3 wounds on a wlord, your firepower decreases 50%. Wknight doesn't care. Plus there's a chance of getting the heal power, or just take the artifact from Iyanden. Even so, it might not be close enough.

I was planning on using one of my revenant titans as a wknight, but after seeing a few at the tourney, they're about 2-3 inches shorter than the titan, I think.

Lastly, I read today on BoLS about a guy who's had good success with 2 Eldar flyers (not the wraith kind), by playing them defensively: staying out of AA range, he referenced broadsides, which seem to be at least as/more prevalent as quad/Icarus. Eldar flyers make that 90 degree turn before & after shenanigans. Also love that you can make the BS5 with 4 AP2 shots.
The Gunslinger

Postby WickerNipple » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:34 pm

Yeah good luck with that. Ion Accelerators have, what, a 72" range? And I doubt I'd bother to pay the points for BS5.

Finally, taking advice from BoLS is like getting a highschool cheerleading squad to do your physics PhD.
WickerNipple

Postby The Gunslinger » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:09 pm

I got it from one of the commenters. I don't know of anyone actually owning/fielding an ion whatsitz. :)
The Gunslinger

PreviousNext

Return to Warhammer 40,000