Inquiry

Moderators: Anger Worm, siridar

Inquiry

Postby Emperors Reckoning » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:11 pm

So. If one were interested in getting into WarmaHordes, what would you recommend? What does one need to get started? Which book is current? What news of factions and their related strengths, etc?
Emperors Reckoning

Re: Inquiry

Postby Emperors Reckoning » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:51 pm

No, seriously...
Emperors Reckoning

Postby elrodogg » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:03 pm

Most of the warmachiners don't use our forums. They use their own google mail group.

The Privateer Press forums have some good information in each of the faction subforums.

http://privateerpressforums.com/forum.php

Also, the battle college is a good source of warmachine info.

http://battlecollege.wikispaces.com/

Hope it helps!
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby Emperors Reckoning » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:38 pm

Ah, but I don't know most of the warmachiners, so how can I trust their input. What can you all tell me?
Emperors Reckoning

Inquiry

Postby Daggermouth » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:37 pm

We're currently in Warmachine Prime (or Hordes Primal) Mk 2, which is the base rule set. PP has since released a handful of supplement books containing new rules for specific unit types (battle engines, colossals, warcaster units, etc). I can't think of the names of all of them off hand, but they're not necessary to get started, you'll learn about them in due time.

As far as factions go, most of them are pretty strong, and I would just pick the faction you want to paint.

Nick, our local PG, is talking about starting a journeyman league in March, and those are a fantastic way to get into the game. They start out with the battlebox, and work up week by week to 35 points. This would be a good opportunity to get your hands dirty!
Ian
Daggermouth

Postby Emperors Reckoning » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:04 pm

Journeyman's sounds good. Nick is siridar, yes?
Emperors Reckoning

Postby Shonkhor » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:06 am

Yes, Nick is Sirdiar.

I'll echo what Ian said - Warmachine factions are superbly well balanced and have been so for years, so really do go for what you like to look of. Almost all factions can be played in a variety of different ways by changing warcaster and unit combinations (shooty, melee, control, armor skew etc.).

Also, picking what's 'strong' is less of a problem when you are learning to play as the learning curve is pretty steep - you will get your teeth kicked in 9/10 times by a more experienced player most times even if they're using the jankiest bullcrap they can field and you're using an A* tournament list. But that's OK becasue unlike GW games, it's still fun to play while you're losing, and it makes it that much more satifying once you start getting to grips with the game.

Also, download an app made by Privateer Press called Warroom. It has a rules quick reference and a card library (basic cards for free, complete decks cost extra) that you will find helpful.

Find me at the Strat if you want to chat more. Cheers,

Will
Shonkhor

Postby Amazonwarlord » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:41 pm

So Duncan, did you take the plunge??
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Return to Warmachine / Hordes