Tactica Tyranids: 7th Edition

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Tactica Tyranids: 7th Edition

Postby deFl0 » Sun May 25, 2014 8:27 pm

Setting up threads to talk about the different armies in 7th.
deFl0

Re: Tactica Tyranids: 7th Edition

Postby thevomitorium » Sat May 31, 2014 7:00 am

I've only got in 4 games of 7th edition, and used tyranids for 2 of them but here are a few things I've noticed.

1. TL Brainleech Flyrants are even better, the nerf to vector striking, and charging after switching flying modes doesn't really affect how they play as they like to blast you with the 12 twin linked S6 BS4 shots. Having a 4+ jink and only 1 grounding test potentially each turn makes these guys a lot more resiliant.
- If you are in the 6" spore cloud bubble from the venomthropes you can have a 2+ jink save, which can be pretty nasty if caught unaware. I'm probably going to run a minimum of 2 flyrants in every competitive list I have. Changes to the army composition for battle hardened (1HQ, 2Troop) allow for 4+ flyrants pretty easily, which is something I'm curious to try.

2. Though this is a general benefit of the psychic phase, it's nice to be able to move then cast psychic powers separate from shooting, the cases I've seen this come up are when flyrants have warp blast, being able to drop a strength 10 and then get your full shooting rules. I ran a 20 man unit of genestealers for whatever reason and they weren't terrible. The broodlord gained some utility as he can be hiding the first turn, move into the open then cast horror on a unit to pin them (this never worked in 6th due to maledictions being cast before movement so the unit would be in the open and blasted prior to casting). The change of no overwatch on pinned units seems to help genestealers become somewhat useable, though still overcosted.

- Shadow of the warp doesn't really do anything, but nids can get a fair amount of warp charges (not daemon level but pretty good). I'm liking the single zoanthrope unit as it adds 2 warp charges and warp blast for 50 pts, and all nids get their primaris free which is the only benefit of their psychic table since they have such a limited selection. It was pretty easy to get about 10 warp charges in most 1850 lists without tailoring for warp charges.

-another funny thing I noticed about the broodlord is that he can have the primaris to make him a synapse creature for a turn. this could be used to go to ground, and have the unit get right back up once fearless and potentially assault after, pretty situational but I think it's a bonus.

3. Crones went from being great in 6th to sort of sucking now because of the changes to vector striking, I tried a harpy and it was meh.

4. Tervigons, even with the gaunt tax are still pretty good being a T6 6W objective secured MC, and 30 gaunts are not the easiest thing to remove either.
Dave Iseri
thevomitorium

Re: Tactica Tyranids: 7th Edition

Postby dooms33ker » Sat May 31, 2014 9:54 pm

thevomitorium wrote:I've only got in 4 games of 7th edition, and used tyranids for 2 of them but here are a few things I've noticed.

1. TL Brainleech Flyrants are even better, the nerf to vector striking, and charging after switching flying modes doesn't really affect how they play as they like to blast you with the 12 twin linked S6 BS4 shots. Having a 4+ jink and only 1 grounding test potentially each turn makes these guys a lot more resiliant.
- If you are in the 6" spore cloud bubble from the venomthropes you can have a 2+ jink save, which can be pretty nasty if caught unaware. I'm probably going to run a minimum of 2 flyrants in every competitive list I have. Changes to the army composition for battle hardened (1HQ, 2Troop) allow for 4+ flyrants pretty easily, which is something I'm curious to try.

2. Though this is a general benefit of the psychic phase, it's nice to be able to move then cast psychic powers separate from shooting, the cases I've seen this come up are when flyrants have warp blast, being able to drop a strength 10 and then get your full shooting rules. I ran a 20 man unit of genestealers for whatever reason and they weren't terrible. The broodlord gained some utility as he can be hiding the first turn, move into the open then cast horror on a unit to pin them (this never worked in 6th due to maledictions being cast before movement so the unit would be in the open and blasted prior to casting). The change of no overwatch on pinned units seems to help genestealers become somewhat useable, though still overcosted.

- Shadow of the warp doesn't really do anything, but nids can get a fair amount of warp charges (not daemon level but pretty good). I'm liking the single zoanthrope unit as it adds 2 warp charges and warp blast for 50 pts, and all nids get their primaris free which is the only benefit of their psychic table since they have such a limited selection. It was pretty easy to get about 10 warp charges in most 1850 lists without tailoring for warp charges.

-another funny thing I noticed about the broodlord is that he can have the primaris to make him a synapse creature for a turn. this could be used to go to ground, and have the unit get right back up once fearless and potentially assault after, pretty situational but I think it's a bonus.

3. Crones went from being great in 6th to sort of sucking now because of the changes to vector striking, I tried a harpy and it was meh.

4. Tervigons, even with the gaunt tax are still pretty good being a T6 6W objective secured MC, and 30 gaunts are not the easiest thing to remove either.

I can attest to the above being largely correct, though I wouldn't ask the Genestealers to quit their day job as I doubt they can get so lucky very often.

* A Genestealer walks into a bar, having not eaten for well over a month. The Imperial barkeep walks over and says,

"Excuse me, sir, but I'm afraid you are going to have to leave."

The Genestealer looks back at the barkeep with its cold soulless eyes, huge globs of corrosive saliva dripping from its great maw.

The barkeep points at a sign hanging on a wall, "No shoes, no shirt, no service."
Max
dooms33ker

Return to Warhammer 40,000