Ronin, skirmish game in the age of the samurai

Historical Wargames, BFG, Mordheim, Epic, CCGs, video games etc.

Ronin, skirmish game in the age of the samurai

Postby The Gunslinger » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:05 pm

Found the rulebook for this skirmish game on Amazon. Looks pretty good & has good reviews. It's only 64 pages & you only need 4-20 (25-28mm) models.

Would anyone be interested in playing? I still have to read through it & pick models.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1780968469/ref ... Xtb0R0RJ4A
:2guns:
The Gunslinger

Re: Ronin, skirmish game in the age of the samurai

Postby SteveinNYC » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:29 pm

I'd be into it. I have models, but not the rules, though I'm a little familiar with them.

I'd also be into trying A Fistful of Kung Fu. It's from Osprey as well, though I think it's based on a different base rule set.

I'll be around in August, if that works for you.
SteveinNYC

Postby The Gunslinger » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:36 pm

Cool. I'm going to try to squeeze this into my already crazy weeks. :) Saturdays would probably work best.
The Gunslinger

Postby SteveinNYC » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:19 am

Sounds good. Saturdays will work for me once August rolls around.
SteveinNYC

Postby The Gunslinger » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:58 pm

Just finished reading Ronin. Refreshingly easy read & the rules are awesome.

There's an example of a samurai with a naginata up against 2 warriors, a spear guy & katana guy. The way the combat works is clever, simple & strategic. I've been having trouble uploading pics here via my iPhone, otherwise I'd post a pic of the pages, but the samurai gets the initiative, attacks the spear guy, who spends a combat pool point to get a better defense, gets stunned or something, basically can't fight back. The katana guy attacks but fails to beat the samurai's defense, then the samurai gets one more attack, throws it on the damaged spear guy & kills him. Ha!
The Gunslinger

Postby The Gunslinger » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:59 pm

So I'm thinking we could easily substitute 40k models.

For example: There's 3 types of armor:
light: can be 5+ or 6+ save models
medium: 4+ models
heavy: 3+ models
(no models that are on a medium base, but can use 2+ models that are on small bases.)

There's arquebuses (teppo) which can be rep'd by heavy weapons or like a plasma gun, and bows (yumi) that can be standard guns like bolters & shuriken catapults.

Katana can be chainswords/ccw.

Nodachi (2 handed swd) can be power fists or th.hammers (due to the -1 initiative & +1 to attack).

There are naginata which is easily GK halberds.

Etc, etc. There are so many great "counts as" possibilities.

Then they have a bunch of different factions with rules for composition, ranks, & point costs. Tells you briefly how to setup terrain & table sizes for 100 pts, 200, 300. Missions & victory conditions. Tells you everything.
The Gunslinger

Postby The Gunslinger » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:59 pm

I can see using marines for the Bushi faction, as they're elite points heavy models. Combat, sniper/heavy bolter, bolters scouts for katana, arquebus, or bow warriors respectively that have medium armor. Anybody with light armor can be inquisitorial models or IG. Kick ass marines for samurai. There's mounted rules too for bikes, but you need to rep when he dismounts.

Orks would be great too. Haven't thought of it, but I wonder if there's a decent tyranid counts as.

Eldar & DE would rock. Possibilities keep going. At 100 pts, look like 4-10 models. They need to be WYSIWYG, at least showing their primary weapon.
The Gunslinger

Postby SteveinNYC » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:24 pm

I have samurai models, so I was going to use those, but I don't mind playing against proxies.

What does a balanced list look like? It seems like it would be easy for shooting to dominate, how do they avoid that?
SteveinNYC

Postby The Gunslinger » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:08 pm

There are a decent amount of penalties for shooting, plus most of your lower rank, & some higher ranks, have a low shooting score.
The Gunslinger

Postby SteveinNYC » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:22 am

Do you want to meet up tomorrow (8/2) and give the rules a spin?
SteveinNYC

Next

Return to Other Games