Back to Warhammer 40k

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Back to Warhammer 40k

Postby BigAlMoney666 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:44 pm

Hi,
I used to play Warhammer 40k about 10 years ago, and a friend and I just got back into it. I'm looking to play casual games and hopefully a tournament some time. I'm working on getting a Chaos Space Marines army painted up.
I've been to The Compleat Strategist a few times, but I didn't realize they held games. What is the turn out usually like on a Thursday? What times do the games start and end? What's a typical sized game? I work in the neighborhood, so it could be potentially very convenient.
Personally, a Saturday game would be better, but from what I've read so far, those are by appointment only (or so it seems).
Let me know. Maybe I'll pop my head in next Thursday and introduce myself.
Thanks,
Alex
BigAlMoney666

Re: Back to Warhammer 40k

Postby dooms33ker » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:54 am

Welcome to the boards!

There are always folks down in basement of the Strat Thursdays, though unfortunately Games-Workshop games have waned in popularity over the past year, and so games are becoming increasingly scarce to come by. It's all by appointment, really, Thursday or Saturday. There are a few folks who do play 40k on a semi-regular basis, however, and writing on the boards is the best way to get a game, but we definitely don't have the sort of turnout suitable for pickup games. On any given night I would expect perhaps one game of 40k being played, less sometimes. Incidentally, there are a number of club members who play malifaux, warmachine, and blood bowl, and a handful play Fantasy, myself included.

Pardon the doom and gloom, but I think the new edition of the game, whose rules don't cater much to balance oriented, competitive gamers, coupled with GWs aggressive pricing strategy, diminished interest in and turnout for 40k. I have an Ork army I was in the process of painting, but have since retreated to Fantasy's more controlled (comped) waters. 40k is in many ways a giant nebulous free-for-all at the moment, and my poor greenskins haven't been able to keep up with the Joneses.

You also might want to check out Nubrand Gaming, a recently opened gaming space in Brooklyn that has drawn some of the club's members as their new haunt. Likewise, Warmachine, malifaux and blood bowl at Nubrand are the skirmish games of the season right now, but there may be a few 40k players lurking around somewhere.

I will likely be at the Strategist next Thursday for Fantasy, and you're welcome to come by and hang out even if you don't have a game planned.

Hope that helps ;)
Max
dooms33ker

Postby Toranaga » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:18 pm

Hi Alex,

Don't worry, 40k is alive and well, though maybe not so much anymore at the Strat as doomseeker suggests. In my opinion you're getting back into the game at a very exciting time. Since 7th edition's release six months ago we've seen a great push by GW to rebalance the game and plug the gaps of aged codexes by updating old books at a much more vigorous rate. The ruleset allows for almost limitless options now, which can be overwhelming for some and preposterous for the die-hard competitive gamer, but for those looking to get in a few hours of fun with the models they have - I think it's excellent. GW's business strategy is off putting for sure, but also the quality of their model kits has been raised to the next level from a decade ago and you definitely get what you pay for in terms of aesthetic quality and flexibility in their plastic kits - and the nebulous amount of codexes and rules and dataslates can be found easily enough through 'alternative' sources.

I would gladly meet up with you for a game - I'm busy next thursday, but could do November 21st at the strat. The basement generally fills up around 6. I think 1500 points is a reasonable sized game to complete in 3 hours before the store closes at 9, especially for someone getting back into it. Any larger and I think it'd be better to start earlier. I have access to a few (mostly painted) armies - Eldar, Dark Eldar, and Astra Militarum (formerly Imperial Guard).

That being said, I haven't checked out nubrand yet and am very curious. Any 40kers making a scene or meeting up there? I'd gladly check it out there too. Mostly I've just been playing with friends at home. Do let me know...
Toranaga

Postby GreyDragoon » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:04 pm

Afternoon Toranaga, been a while!

I've been out of the local gaming scene for a while - haven't been able to even get out of work early enough to play with any consistency for the past number of months! But I've heard some good things about Nubrand, hopefully it's as nice/fun as it looks in their videos.

These days just dabbling in/keeping a toe in the water of tournaments out here. Got burned pretty badly not being able to go to Nova and Adepticon this year due to work (and them not refunding the tickets) so am just getting back into it after the hiatus. 7th was a bit of a surprise when I got setup for Battle for Salvation, but it's been pretty enjoyable once you get used to some of the quirks and the new advancement of some fairly powerful gargantuans/super heavies to the scene.

One of these days they'll let me roll with my FW 'Tides :)
GreyDragoon

Postby thevomitorium » Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:27 pm

Hi Alex,

There are 40k players, I haven't seen many at the compleat strat recently but I'm up for a game if you're interested, either at the Strat or Nu Brand. I've mostly been gaming at Nu Brand for a variety of reasons so my preference is for games there.

I'm pretty interested in trying some 1500 pt highlander style games, which is using only one of any kind of unit, no duplicates, even for dedicated transports. The only exception being if you have one of each troops selection, you can have a duplicate troop (if you want to take a second tactical squad, you also need to have a scout squad, and crusader squad, etc.) It doesn't solve everything with broken lists but will definitely tone down the spamming and hopefully add some variety.

Anyways welcome.
Dave Iseri
thevomitorium

Postby Toranaga » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:55 pm

Hey there GreyDragoon - I remember the lemming Dire Avengers.

Hi Vomitorium, I would be interested in trying out a highlander style game too. What nights do people generally meet at Nu Brand? It looks great in there from the website but I still have yet to check it out.
Toranaga

Postby thevomitorium » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:17 pm

Toranaga,

Friday nights are usually the night to be there, this week Nu Brand is closed on Friday for the thanksgiving holiday but will be open Saturday, I'll be there for a blood bowl game this Saturday but could do a 40k game in the late afternoon/evening if you would like, otherwise feel free to email or PM me if you want a Friday game some other week.
Dave Iseri
thevomitorium

Return to Warhammer 40,000