Horus Heresy 30k

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Horus Heresy 30k

Postby deFl0 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:36 pm

I'm looking to get some practice games in before Adepticon.

Anyone playing 30K and up for some games at 1850?
deFl0

Re: Horus Heresy 30k

Postby GreyDragoon » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:40 am

I'm not, but I do have a problem as for LVO they have ruled that O'Vesa cannot join units with other Independant Characters. Re-working my list and will need some play testing this month/next month if you're available Pete.

Odd to see my list get split into two possible groupings.
GreyDragoon

Postby The Gunslinger » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:13 pm

Pete, which army in 30k do you play?
:2guns:
The Gunslinger

Postby GreyDragoon » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:12 pm

Pete is there any reason you couldn't use some of the legion/marine models from 30k to run as the core foot troops of 40k for something like iron hands? They just look so much better, and I would definitely consider building out my marines more if that was something that you think I could do on both the 30k/40k level.
GreyDragoon

Postby deFl0 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:06 pm

I'm playing raven guard.

And yeah. That's what I'm doing. Painting am army for both 30k and 40k. There are some units that can't exactly be represented.

But some work really well for both. Think iron hands, Imperial fists, iron warriors, raven guard. Alpha legion. Night lords. Salamanders
deFl0

Postby GreyDragoon » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:12 pm

Hmm nice. Yeah was definitely thinking Iron Hands, they just look phenomonally better in the FW Legion models, and I would imagine you'd have no problem building everything you need for 40k with the 30k models. Only trick might be getting some 30k biker(s) as I haven't see any of those on the site yet. Was thinking an iron hands biker star with potentially thunderhawk/fire raptor air support bringing in combat squaded marines (potentially with drop pod(s) to soak up additional marines if points allow.

Such cool looking models though! Post up some pics of your work in progress Pete.
GreyDragoon

Postby deFl0 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:11 am

I have a thread of my raven guard in the painting section as I make progress. It's been long going as I bounce back to my eldar quite a bit.

Iron hands are really solid actually. Everything is -1 str when shooting them. So also counts for insta kill, thus apothecaries are really good. They also can hand out 3++ like candy with their cyber familiars and their tanks can be pretty tough. Gorgons are AMAZING vaalue termi altrnatives.

Iron hand get really good with Ferrus. All the tanks with AV 13+ get it will not die and foe 10pts you can also get a HP back on a roll of a six. so you start getting 2 rolls per vehicle!

So things like sicarians, and verators, land riaders, predators etc. Not to mention he gives everyone in your force FNP for free...

The head of the gorgon Rite of war is sweet too. You get out flank on all your tanks and the ability to take tons of graviton guns. Which are totally different and awesome.

Not to mention you also have two of the best special characters around. Autek mor is just a nasty nasty beat stick. And orth is hilarious. He gives bonuses to all your charging tanks, makes one tank crazy good at shooting and is mega cheap if you wanted to spend nothing on HQ.

All that said, they do have a major disadvantage in that its hard for them to sweeping advance... and cant take a ton of fast units... but who cares, you should better runnign around with crazy good infantry in big nasty lumbering tanks, with dreads running all over the place.
deFl0

Postby GreyDragoon » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:44 am

Iron Hands are pretty fan-freaking-tastic when you get creative with building some tanky nonsense.

On the 40k side, have you taken a look at tag-teaming two chapter masters? One from IH with Artificer Armour, Shield Eternal, and a Thunder Hammer on a bike. The second from the Raukaan Supplement as another CAD HQ choice. Throw a bike, thunder hammer, lightning claw, and then the Gorgon's Chain and Betrayer's Bane. You end up with two eternal warriors with absurd stats and benefits. For each detachment, perhaps take a scout biker squad and you can scout up these two monsters and have a few ablative wounds if needed before you rush in. or hell throw them in nice big grav biker squads for more absurdity. Then backfield it up with AA vehicles and have some drop pod combat squaded tactical marines. I know my army would have some serious fits with these two.
GreyDragoon

Postby deFl0 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:47 am

Yeah. It's solid.

IH also have the distinction of being pretty easy to paint and convert.

Plus I think Orth in a sicaran is best value in special character you can get.
deFl0

Postby deFl0 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:54 am

Boo. anyone else?
deFl0

Next

Return to Warhammer 40,000