How do people feel about a Gobbo Lord leading Night Goblins?

Moderator: Anger Worm

How do people feel about a Gobbo Lord leading Night Goblins?

Postby -Jarrett » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:34 am

I've been fiddling with a Night Goblin list and I've settled on a solid build, but I keep revisiting the same issue in my mind. Leadership 7 is so atrocious I can't see winning with such a hamstring. For 10 points more I could take a common Goblin Warboss to lead the Night Goblin horde and benefit from the excellent (for a gobbo) leadership 8. It's so clearly worth it that the only thing that's holding me back is how utterly wrong it seems for a Night Goblin army to be led by a non-Nigh Goblin. It's not nearly as blatent as taking a Black Orc or as bad as taking Skarsnik (which is pretty bad IMO), but I think it's an un-fluffy crutch.

Anyone else feel this way or should I get over it and Make Glorious Benefit Night Goblins with Leadership 8? A counterpoint is that the army is so unstable anyway I'll likely not win often, so who cares about 7 or 8 as long as it's fun and themey...
-Jarrett

Re: How do people feel about a Gobbo Lord leading Night Goblins?

Postby mauleed » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:41 am

I wouldn't ding it either way, but I would not say it was a themed army if there was a common gobbo lord.
mauleed

Postby elrodogg » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:44 am

I wouldn't have a problem with a vanilla gobbo leading night gobbos (particularly if you have wolf riders and put him on a wolf).

Total shame about skarsnick's rules. If they only eliminated the fast cav thing and the reserve rules he'd be fine. I guess one couuld play without using them, but that idea is kinda meh.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby mauleed » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:50 am

It's just the reserves rules that are whacked. The fast cav thing is kind of neat (if that's your only fast cav).

If someone had an army of all night gobbos and night gobbo related units I'd have no problem saying skarsnik was perfect comp/theme.
mauleed

Postby -Jarrett » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:56 am

Well to be clear the idea would be a common gobbo lord AS a night goblin lord. I'd just point out that he was a common gobbo lord, but for the army itself all common gobbo elements would be converted to night goblins
-Jarrett

Postby elrodogg » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:05 am

Ed - Yes. if that's you don't have any other fast cav, then I would completely agree with you. Coupled with other fast cav, it's a little much imo. Especially considering he's only 200 or so points, and that nobody else can do it for their infantry.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby VectorAWX3 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:19 am

That, sir, would be a ding. If it's all NG (particularly infantry) with a regular gob lord, it's definately a ding. You're trying to get T4 gobbos with leadership 8 and necessary fast-cav/bolt-throwers, etc. Uncool, and certainly unfluffy. I wouldn't hammer it on comp, but you certainly won't get top.

A mixed goblin list with half and half would get great scores from me. But DON'T try to pretend it's an NG list with a common gob general.

But that's just my inner Kevin Coleman speaking.
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby -Jarrett » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:26 am

Well Nidal, I wouldn't have mentioned it if it didn't strike a similar chord with me as well.

Now how do you feel about an NG horde with converted spider riders (no wolves) and a couple of bolt throwers? I think just basic NGs don't have enough stuff to actually do an interesting or successful army list, so you've got to have some non-Night gobbo gear
-Jarrett

Postby VectorAWX3 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:41 am

I agree with you in that NG's need some non NG auxilliaries. You can take snots, giants, trolls, squig herds, squig hoppers. IMO, those all fit in, and don't break the NG/non-NG barrier. Give that a try before going with BT's and spider-riders. Any gob you model to be an NG (spider-rider with NG hat) is NOT an NG.
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby -Jarrett » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:53 am

Squig herders and hoppers are night goblins, so there's no question about them fitting in. Same with snotlings - they're mini gobbos and non-race specific.

How a giant fits into the underground cave thing more than spiders I'm not sure.

Troll leadership/stupidity = suck. They're out by default.

Thinking about the list, do you really believe NGs can win without bolt throwers or fast cav? I think they need at least 2 throwers for big flyers. The fanatics can't do it by themselves. Fast cav is just... well, good.
-Jarrett

Next

Return to Warhammer Fantasy