Space Marine Bikes

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Space Marine Bikes

Postby -MiniPainter06 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 12:58 am

I have recently painted up a bike and am working on completing two additional bikers for the squad. I was just painting them up for fun but like the models so much that it inspired me to try to include them in an army. The problem with that is the way I see it bikes have no place in any army list as they would be easily replaced by not only a better option but something that is not a complete waste of points such as another tac squad or landspeeder. I want to know if there is some strategy where bikes can be useful. I am not looking to create a house list, on the other hand I dont want to look at the table and wish I had something useful in the squads place every time I play. If someone has some insights into the space marine bike dilemna and any useful suggestions on tactics I would appreciate any help.
On another note, dare I ask about anyone out there who has discovered the secret of making an effective all/mostly bike army. I know it is probably impossible and haven't been able to figure it out myself, but I am also a novice player and participate in the modelling side of the hobby much more so I just thought I would ask. Again it doesnt have to be a house list, I just want it to be competitive enough so I dont lose every game I play before deployment. And I do not want to look at the squad and realize its a waste of points every game I play.
Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions or ideas offered up. =
-MiniPainter06

Re: Space Marine Bikes

Postby Jeramakus » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:24 am

Some would argue that the "best" Bike army is Ravenwing. I think the Traits can make you a good list as well. Regardless, Bikes are pretty strong units if used properly...

Re your argument of a "speeder would serve better", all it takes is one hit on a speeder to end its usefulness. It takes a lot more than that to wipe out a Bike squad no matter the configuration, whether tooled for close combat or tank-hunting.
Andy on Lou's 300-inspired foray into Ancients:
"And remember Lou, Historicals people go nuts over historical accuracy. Therefore it's critically important you quote the movie with that accent as much as possible while playing every game."
Jeramakus

Postby -MiniPainter06 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:31 am

So bike squads can act as effective tank hunters? Im just sort of wondering if people have used them effectively. I can play theoryhammer all I want, but I think anecdotal evidence is more what I am looking for. Every time I have seen space marine bikes used in our shop they were a complete waste of points(albeit played by a moron) and any time I read a forum people have pretty negative opinions about them
-MiniPainter06

Postby -Demigod Complex » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:21 am

From a fellow newbie numbers are your friend w/ bikes. I have a couple in my list that I am working on using effectively and I have to say that despite a poor decision on my part they hold up their end of the bargin. Don't leave them stranded and watch out for hords is my advice.

In my recent loss (actually it was a routing) to a very well played ork list I learned a lot about my SM list (Space Wolves). The toughness 5 is pretty hard to score wounds against but alone verses 40 orks and it is just a matter of time before the end. They stuck it out for a full turn and I was really shocked, in the end I believe the final remnants of my group were taken out by a powerfist, just to try and give you an example. Plus the turbo boost with 4+ invunlerable save has been a God send against a couple very shooty tau lists.

I also think your style of play is important because it will govern how you will try to put your bikes to work. I try to use mine to take out specific squads that give me trouble, not so much basic infantry. And even if they don't finish the job they usually tie them up so that the opposition is so worried about saving a specific squad that they forget about all of their other squads on the table. Bikes are also good a drawing attention away from the rest of my list. People see bikes and now they are a priority, not my squad of HTH experts or tank hunters.

Dunno if it helps but that has been my experience from my past couple of games.

Jordan
-Demigod Complex

Postby -Rulesman » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:28 pm

Anything in multiples can work in 40K. Three bike squadrons are a lot better than one. But, if you at the end only have 1 squad of bikes their first priority would be tanks/flying things and grab quarters, second would be small, no power fist squads you want to wipe/prevent from shooting; the increased T of bikes can be very useful.

I have to say I'm not a big fan of bikes. It has been many some years since I put some bikes in play.
-Rulesman

Postby -Thrax » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:42 pm

Duncan plays Ravenwing, doesn't he? I'm sure he could offer some advice.

T
-Thrax

Postby Jeramakus » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:46 pm

Quote:
Duncan plays Ravenwing, doesn't he? I'm sure he could offer some advice.

If he posted any longer. He's been absent for quite some time. RL, I guess...
Andy on Lou's 300-inspired foray into Ancients:
"And remember Lou, Historicals people go nuts over historical accuracy. Therefore it's critically important you quote the movie with that accent as much as possible while playing every game."
Jeramakus

Postby -Thrax » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:29 pm

I think I may have pissed him off... :o Well, either me or Vinnie. Good work, Vinnie. Another Christmas ruined. :b

T
-Thrax

Postby warmongerclub » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:44 pm

Bikes are definately NOT the best points value. Especially marine bikes. Chaos bikes are better, orks bikes are better, khorne bikes are arguably the best.

Genreally speaking, if you want to be really comeptitive, bikes are not the best option.

Jim
warmongerclub

Postby deFl0 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:16 am

It's more of a question of what you are trying to achieve with them.

Ork, and chaos bikers are great because thye kick ass in hth. So being able to close quickly on your opponant with e 3+I save is very usful.

For marines, other than characters or space wolves, bikes are a shooting unit, and an area control unit. Bikes are the fastest unit in a SM list that can engage in hth. But they are not amazing at hth.

However you can use them to lock down units in hth and let the termies or assult squad come finish them in hth.

Bike really shine when used against transports. You can close the doors on vehicles and trap guys inside. This is one efficiient use that's better than speeders.

Other than these tricky uses the bikes are fairly usless on their own. I've seen people give them teleport homers to help bring in termies and stuff too.

Other wise they are a very mobile shooty unit. I prefer the concept of melta guns for tank hunting.

You might want to consider the bikes as a character delivery device. A tech marine on a bike can be a nasty opponent, same thing with something with an SM HQ. A librarian character hunter is an interesting option too.

Pete
deFl0

Next

Return to Warhammer 40,000