Space Marine Bikes

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Re: Space Marine Bikes

Postby warmongerclub » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:53 am

Quote:
A tech marine on a bike can be a nasty opponent

Pretty sure they Q&A'd this option out of existence.
warmongerclub

Postby mauleed » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:00 am

That FAQ is very clearly marked "unofficial".

So it's unofficially illegal, which means no one can complain if you show up with it.

Of course those points are always better spent on a Chaplain or Librarian on a bike anyway.
mauleed

Postby -Thrax » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:12 am

Agreed. Librarian with Boo and Fury (or even Storm) on a bike? Yes please! Although would it really be worth it more than a jump pack?

T.
-Thrax

Postby Emperors Reckoning » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:23 pm

The Librarian works well, but must be accompanied. It is a very expensive model points-wise.

I've been very happy with bikes. I've found them to have two priciple uses. First, twin-linked rapid fire, virtually eliminating misses. As with all rapid fire, the more the merrier. The second use is hard target hunting. There are two approaches to this. You can take advantage of the high relative number of special weapons, or use melta-armed trikes.

To my mind, a biker that is firing a special weapon is not twin-linkking and not rapid firing. In consequence, I only use special wepons if I have a few spare points. I much prefer to use a trike. A multi-melta mounted trike can still rapid fire against light targets, has double the "critical" range of a meltagun, AND has three to five ablative bikes around him to assure delivery to that range.

Tactically, bike squads are quixotic mixture of fragility and resilience. You don't have to roll a lot of 1's for a squad to melt away. Thus they are particularly prone to rapid-firing squads. Take full advantage of cover. Make sure that YOU decide where your bikes will make thier stand. With that in mind, bikes are actually quite resilient in HtH against line squads, so hide in combat if the fire envioronment is too hostile. Along that vein, a veteran with fist is very handy. I think it's ridiculous on a bike, but it's within the rules.

Marine bikes are not the value the chaos bikes and ork bikes are. Nor are they particularly easy to use. It comes down to a matter of taste and playing style. I wish you the best with them.

Duncan

(And no, I'm neither angry, pouting, nor vexed. I do, however have a 14 day old baby, a 5 year old daughter who is not in school in the summer, and a recently hugely pregnant high-maintainance wife. Oddly, I have no difficluty filling my days.

Cheers.)
Emperors Reckoning

Postby VectorAWX3 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:33 pm

14 day old baby? Congrats! :D
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby -Thrax » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:14 am

Wow man, that's awesome! Congratulations! :D

T
-Thrax

Postby The Gunslinger » Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:54 am

Duncan, you go! Congratulations man
:2guns:
The Gunslinger