wyches how affective are they?

Moderator: The Gunslinger

wyches how affective are they?

Postby -frankthetank310 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:18 am

wyches how affective are they ? against other assault type units can some work out the math for them against

1 Hormagaunts
2 Ripper Swarm
3 Space Marine Assault squad
4 Stormboyz
5 Necron Warriors
6 Scarab Swarms
7 Ogryns
8 Eldar Howling Banshees
9 Striking Scorpions
10 Grey Knight Terminators
11 Chaos Raptors
12 Chaos Marine Bikers
-frankthetank310

Re: wyches how affective are they?

Postby deFl0 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:31 am

A large part of there effectiveness in based on what the squad leader carries. I think the agonizer is one of the most broken things in the game. It's great for witches.

Anyway go here:

members.optusnet.com.au/eldar40k/combat_calculator.htm

That said, what makes the witch army powerful is the 12 troops choices you can take for cheap, that are very effective squads. It's one of the most over looked very poewrful lists in the game.

It's one of the hardest lists I've run into at a GT.

Peter
deFl0

Postby -The Fabulous Orcboy » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:07 am

Amen. Pete is right.

Remember, you can take Warp Beasts without using up a force org slot for every Wych unit you take.

Even by itself that's some nasty stuff. Combine with tricks like Warp Portal (or whatever the DE version is called) and it's a SERIOUSLY nasty, nasty, nasty army list. It can smack up virtually every army in the game, and plays SO differently from anything most people have ever seen that you're at a huge psychological advantage just going in. :)
-The Fabulous Orcboy

Postby -Thrax » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:14 am

With the only snag being that Wych models are kind of raunchy. That said, the idea of Wyches practically begs for conversion anyways, so...

T.
-Thrax

Postby -frankthetank310 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:15 am

wow can any one post the list that was used at the GT that there talking about i would like some ideas for my own a all wych list dose sound cool
-frankthetank310

Postby -The Fabulous Orcboy » Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:29 am

er.

Frank, you can recreate the list on your own.

10 Wyches, including leader with Agonizer = 158 pts.
1 Raider = 50 pts
5 Warpbeats, plus Beastmaster w/Agonizer = 75 pts.

Total: 283 pts.

x6 = 1698 pts

Add HQ to flavor (Shadowfield, Agonizer, Archite is about 150 pts). Drop one Wych from somewhere to make room on a Raider.

Zoom, zoom
-The Fabulous Orcboy

Postby -frankthetank310 » Wed Jul 12, 2006 2:13 pm

i played today with my dark eldar against nids an i thought that wyches halve my enemy WS in CC but i read the codex and it say only when im being attacked so it didnt change any thing really is this right or did GW change it ??
-frankthetank310

Postby -KnightACT » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:25 pm

One thing i've been thinking about... the whole deployment issue with HQ models. In this case, if one rolls omega, then you need to roll separately for the HQ, and the raider riding wytches...... so when deploying, you'd need to slow down one raider to make sure the lord can hop in once he "moves on" same goes for warp portal.

that way of playing just doesn't make any sense.
-KnightACT

Postby -Tiger Raja » Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:06 pm

Quote:
wyches how affective are they ? against other assault type units can some work out the math for them against

Do you mean, how would Wyches fare in a fight against these various other cc-oriented units? I imagine they would do fairly well, but the way for DE to deal with those enemy units is to shoot them with disintegrators and splinter cannons. Let the Wyches tear through the non-cc units, like Tac Marines and Dire Avengers and such. :evil

Quote:
Remember, you can take Warp Beasts without using up a force org slot for every Wych unit you take.

Provided you're running a Wych army. Your standard DE army (like mine) can only take Warp Beast unit (and then, only if you take a unit of Wyches). Warp Beasts are insanely cheap (75 points max, and that includes an agonizer), amazingly fast and tear up stuff.

Quote:
i played today with my dark eldar against nids an i thought that wyches halve my enemy WS in CC but i read the codex and it say only when im being attacked so it didnt change any thing really is this right or did GW change it ??

Provided you armed your Wyches w/ wych weapons (which, of course, you did--why not?), then yes, your opponent's WS would be halved in cc, both for the Wyches' "to hit" and for opponents striking back at them. This was cleared up (sorta) in an FAQ. The exception to this would be if the opponent has a natural Str. 6 or more, IIRC.

Quote:
One thing i've been thinking about... the whole deployment issue with HQ models. In this case, if one rolls omega, then you need to roll separately for the HQ, and the raider riding wytches...... so when deploying, you'd need to slow down one raider to make sure the lord can hop in once he "moves on" same goes for warp portal.

I usually get around that nonsense by only starting off the game with one or two squads of Warriors and "infantry" HQ (such as Haemonculi) w/ webway portals on the board. All other units are in reserve in the webway portals. Having two portals almost always assures that at least one opens up without enemy interference, whereafter your army can drop like a hammer on his. :evil
-Tiger Raja

Postby savaughn » Wed Jul 12, 2006 11:12 pm

>>i played today with my dark eldar against nids an i thought that wyches halve my enemy WS in CC but i read the codex and it say only when im being attacked so it didnt change any thing really is this right or did GW change it ??

Your opponent is required to make attacks in each and every close combat round. As such, you gain this ability whenever you are in close combat.
savaughn

Next

Return to Warhammer 40,000