tank shock and close combat

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Re: tank shock and close combat

Postby Flavius Infernus » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:26 am

Quote:

The only question there is what falling back "from" combat means in this context: does it mean falling back while being involved in a close combat (situational: I just came from the park), or falling back as a result of close combat (causal: I got a cavity from all the sugary food I ate)? Alas, English is not the language of logic.

SDD: Well if we assume some precision for the language, nobody ever falls back because of close combat. They fall back because of failing a morale test. The test might be caused by losing a round of combat, but speaking precisely nobody falls back from ("as a result of") close combat any more than people running out of a burning building are said to be "evacuating from fire."

Also I don't see anything restrictive in the use of the word "victors." One side falls back, for whatever reason, the other guys are the victors.

Also also the rules do technically say what happens to the victors if one side of a close combat falls back, for whatever reason. Page 15--the movement rules. If it's their turn, they haven't moved yet, so they can move, shoot and assault if possible.

And finally, for Pete, it doesn't seem imbalancing to me because even units that are not locked in combat can be forced by a tank shock to fall back to within range/assault of an enemy unit. It doesn't seem that much more of a disadvantage that the unit they fall back into reach of happens to be one they were fighting earlier that turn.
Flavius Infernus

Postby subversive » Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:50 am

Quote:
Well if we assume some precision for the language

I make no such assumptions when dealing with GW products. If there was precise language, we wouldn't be having this discussion in the first place. I do see your point though. Not sure how comfortable I am with it, but I see it.
subversive

Postby -Rulesman » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:12 am

Quote:
Sorry, did I miss something? It looked to me as if everyone was agreeing the opposite, that a tank CAN pass over a model in close combat... Or do you mean your own models in close combat?

:rollin Yep, I was refering to your own models...
-Rulesman

Postby -frankthetank310 » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:00 am

when you tank shock a unit and they fail there LD roll and move back what happens if there is another tank in there way do they go around or can they be next to it i thought they couldnt be a 1" from a enemy model or unit ? do they die or keep falling back by rolling again ??
-frankthetank310

Previous

Return to Warhammer 40,000