Sentinels usefull? Psykers anyone?

Moderator: The Gunslinger

Sentinels usefull? Psykers anyone?

Postby -Brother Suspectus » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:04 pm

So as my Vostrayans are taking shape (wooohooo I have 8 men finished 3 months later...) I have an IG question or two..

Are Sentinels worth it? With an FA of 10 they look like bolter meat. Hell I have trouble keeping a Land Raider with FA 14 around past the second turn. If they are worth it what config? Auto Canon... Las Canon?

Are Psykers worth it? Do they roll for thier power once per turn or at the start of the game?

Thanks Mongers and kick ass at the Necro!!!
-Brother Suspectus

Re: Sentinels usefull? Psykers anyone?

Postby WickerNipple » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:37 pm

Sentinels certainly can be useful, though they're not fantastic.

Pretty much any weapon config can be an option, but I prefer multi-lasers.

Guard psychers are essentially useless. They roll for powers at the start of the game.
WickerNipple

Postby Ancow » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:58 pm

Well that clears that up from our questions on Saturday. Yeah, guard psychers seem pretty useless. Pretty crappy LD from what I recall and a lot of the powers aren't very impressive. Sentinels can be good but I think it really depends on what you have in your list. The problem is they can take up a slow otherwise used for a hellhound or some roughriders which can be pretty damn effective as well. Whats the rest of your list look like?
Ancow

Postby elrodogg » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:20 pm

Psyker's aren't the worst option. If you have the slots available, the doctrine available and happen to have 10-30pts that you can't possibly spend on anything else, sure... rock on with the psyker. I wouldn't take them though.

Sentinels I feel are an all or nothing proposition. I think they would work well either en masse or don't bother taking any.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby -Thrax » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:45 pm

Guard psykers would be a lot better without the stupid random power thing. If you could choose a power, and even pay 5 more points for it (depending -- for ex., their Machine Spirit power is great), then they MIGHT be worth it...but for the most part, they're walking Perils of the Warp. Spend your points on Die Hards instead.

T
-Thrax

Postby WickerNipple » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:31 am

Re: All or none Sentinels - My preference is simply to have one single sentinel in the HQ platoon.

Just about the cheapest scoring unit guard get.
WickerNipple

Postby -The Philosophical Kensai » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:02 am

Sentinels are worth it but either as an Afterthought unit (a single to hang around and annoy) or as a full squadron (3) or more.

One is almost not worth shooting at with AT weapons as there is usually Russ's to shoot. 3 or more means that there is alot of firepower the enemy should not be able to silence very fast.

And semi-cheap fierpower too!

My opinion
-The Philosophical Kensai

Postby Flavius Infernus » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:58 am

It used to be common practice in 3rd edition to take a single sentinel, attached to the HQ, with the cheapest weapon option (flamer) and improved comms. Then its job was to sit in the backfield and hide out of sight and provide bonus for reserve rolls.

Because a sentinel always deploys, you always get the reserve bonus this way. And it's a scoring unit.
Flavius Infernus

Postby -Brother Suspectus » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:29 am

Thanks for the input. The scoring thing makes sense. Gotta keep your eye on that aspect. Right about the target priority thing, with 2 Lemans Russes rumbling around why shoot at the silly little two leged star wars at/at rip off.

To bad about the psykers... truth be told I liked the model. But if your rolling at the start... ehhh? I think I would rather have the Tech Preist with his servitors. Cool models and to have them hang by the expensive tanks they may be worth thier points. If not.. well the Tech preist squad makes a good cc unit. What about that honorifaca dohicky where they get the stats of your HQ? Add extra cc attacks and boosts the wounds. Not bad for 25 points.

D
-Brother Suspectus

Postby -The Fabulous Orcboy » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:10 pm

Suspectus:

Psycher + Honorifica + Force Weapon can be a nasty surprise for an opponent, and isn't targetable.

But this is more of a fun one-shot than anything useful on a regular basis
-The Fabulous Orcboy

Next

Return to Warhammer 40,000