Space Marine Squad Markings - Help Needed

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Space Marine Squad Markings - Help Needed

Postby -NightGoblinHordeLeader » Sun Jul 31, 2005 2:05 am

Hi fellas,

I'm painting up a tactical squad of marines I have laying around, which I plan on selling on eBay.

I'm not a WH40k fanatic, so I don't know much about the markings. If anyone could answer my questions I'd be thankful.

The chapter marking goes on the left shoulder...
The tactical squad marking (the arrow pointing up) goes on the right shoulder....
The company marking (roman 1-10) is superimposed over the tactical squad marking...
"Off" color markings and symbols, on leg or knee armor, are considered "honor" badges blessed by the chaplain/captain/etc...

Correct?
-NightGoblinHordeLeader

Re: Space Marine Squad Markings - Help Needed

Postby Jeramakus » Sun Jul 31, 2005 3:24 am

The squad, not Company, markings (numerals) usually go ob the right shoulder pad as well. The company markings are usuallu indicated by shoulder pad trim color.

Of course, this all depends on whether the Chapter colors you're painting them adhere to the Codex Astartes or not...
Andy on Lou's 300-inspired foray into Ancients:
"And remember Lou, Historicals people go nuts over historical accuracy. Therefore it's critically important you quote the movie with that accent as much as possible while playing every game."
Jeramakus

Postby -NightGoblinHordeLeader » Sun Jul 31, 2005 4:50 am

Blood Angels. Care to give the "codex" version of them, please?
-NightGoblinHordeLeader

Postby Jeramakus » Sun Jul 31, 2005 9:10 am

Ah! The Blood Angels are a non-Codex Chapter, I believe. I'll have to double check the books and get back to you unless another actual BA player comes along...
Andy on Lou's 300-inspired foray into Ancients:
"And remember Lou, Historicals people go nuts over historical accuracy. Therefore it's critically important you quote the movie with that accent as much as possible while playing every game."
Jeramakus

Postby -NightGoblinHordeLeader » Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:53 pm

Take your time. They won't be ready for decal transfer for at least a week.

Thank you =)
-NightGoblinHordeLeader

Postby -NightGoblinHordeLeader » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:24 am

I, um, "found" the Blood Angel's codex somewhere on the internet. So I learned the markings system.

But, when I tried to put the decals on they just wouldn't stick. They didn't conform to the curved surface and were very stiff. Were they bad decals, or is that the way decals are?

Also, the paint color of the decals was so hideously unlike the paint job that I don't think I would have used them if they did stick.
-NightGoblinHordeLeader

Postby Flavius Infernus » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:27 am

I've never been able to make a decal look good.

I've heard that this stuff works well (the items in the Deluxe Decal Finishing Kit), but it's a complicated procedure. If you're into that kind of thing, you could get really good results.

I usually just paint the markings freehand (draw them lightly with pencil first). They don't look perfect, but they look better than decals.
Flavius Infernus

Postby subversive » Tue Aug 16, 2005 3:58 am

I've actually had pretty good luck with decals using decal setting solution. Can't remember the brand I used, as it's sitting on a shelf at the old house... I want to say Solvaset one-step, but I could be mistaken.
subversive

Postby -NightGoblinHordeLeader » Wed Aug 17, 2005 2:58 am

Oh, right. Setting solution. I had heard of those.

And a pencil. Duh. Good idea.

Thanks fellerz.
-NightGoblinHordeLeader

Postby Emperors Reckoning » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:28 pm

I've had good luck with setting solution as well. It's not fire and forget, though. Since it softens the decal, you have to do a little image management to make sure it settles the way you want.
Emperors Reckoning

Return to Modeling and Painting