Daemonsmith character and item comments here

Moderators: KevinC, mattbird

Re: Daemonsmith character and item comments here

Postby nermal » Tue May 12, 2009 3:17 pm

He has BS 5 ... why? He has no options for ranged attacks. I really like the concept though. Maybe have items other than hand weapons for them to purchase. How about mechanical deamon steeds or other such non-sense? Maybe an option for a primitive juggernaught type body armor.
nermal

Postby ZiggyQubert » Tue May 12, 2009 5:48 pm

one note on these guys interacting with the rest of the list -

there equipment is awsome, however it looks like you can get the same magic phase simply by putting bounds on the rest of your characters (2 good bounds +bound banner) that would be 3 bounds +High priest (who could have one of the bound items) without the need for a Daemonsmith. I feel like they should be forced to take the Daemonsmith to get that ammount of bounds...
:spacesharks: :Hamelin: :Lilith: Brookie
ZiggyQubert
Site Admin

Postby Garrett » Wed May 13, 2009 1:20 am

Some of the bound abilities of the weapons are fantastic, and I think that's part of the draw. I took a fighty list tonight, I'm going to take a Priest/2 smith list on Thursday and see how the bound stuff works out. It almost seems Tomb Kingy in how it's going to work out.
Garrett

Postby BenTheRat » Wed May 13, 2009 1:57 pm

Here is my take on the Daemonsmith.

1. Drop the list down to 2 DD.

2. Add in DS's generate a DD.
(I think players will accept this a lot better than the 4 DD thing)

3. Allow the DS to either take a single daemon weapon of unlimited points, or up to 50 points of magic items (including arcane items and daemon weapons.) So if they took a 25 point daemon weapon, they could still take a d.scroll for example.

4. The rolling a 1 on the daemon weapons, is just a killer. It will happen 50% of the time by turn 3. Without it they are overpowered, with it, they are underpowered. Something needs to change with this. Also, does the str 4 hit, allow armor saves?

5. My fix, if we are going to stick with this, is as follows:
A. The DS knows 2 of the spells from the Hashut list, roll randomly, no default.
B. He may cast 1 of these 2 each magic phase, it goes off at PL 4. On a 1, it does not go off and he suffers -1 Init.
C. Keep the Daemonswords as is, but if they roll a 1, its -1 Init.
D. Change out 1 of the spells, don't really care which one, to allow the caster to heal 1 point of initiative, up to their starting max.
E. Lower the High Priest Power Level to 6.

This keeps things a little more offensive. You roll the 1 on either the sword or his normal spell, he has to stop till he gets healed, which the HP can always do. If you don't have a HP, then then you have to hope one of your DS's rolled it. If not, your taking big chances.
Or you can go more defensive magic with the DS scroll caddy, like any other list can do. Add in the helm and you have 4 DD and 2 scrolls.
Just some thoughts.
Ben The Rat
Tales of Battle
Real Armies
Real Battles

http://www.talesofbattle.com
BenTheRat

Postby Larro » Wed May 13, 2009 8:37 pm

Remind me exactly why these guys need to die when they cast their spells at all? They're Warrior Priests! Do you see Warrior Priests dying when they cast their Bound prayers? No. What's the deal with paying all these points for a 1 in 6 chance of (1) exhausting FOREVER, and then (2) ultimately dying. Sounds like an awful deal to me.

- Larry
"Just being born means you've lost to Larro. Or haven't you gotten the memo yet?" - Nidal

"Larry was right. I know he never gets tired of hearing that." - Canterman
Larro

Postby BenTheRat » Wed May 13, 2009 10:33 pm

The Daemonsmith guys can't die. They might about 20% chance take a wound, but thats it. They still have a magical sword with some affect, they just can't use the bound spell anymore. How are they dying?

As for the HP, we are talking about pretty powerful spells here. Being able to drop a stone thrower template anywhere you want, with no deviation, will kill something. And the Petrify spell is great as well.

I don't see Warrior Priests throwing those kind of spells. About the only thing that comes close is the Arch Lector with his alter and that is PL 5.

I was making possible solutions to make the magic phase stronger. But I think with chaos and power, you should include risks.
Ben The Rat
Tales of Battle
Real Armies
Real Battles

BenTheRat

Postby method » Thu May 14, 2009 4:40 pm

how about .........if you go normal magic, you could allow a daemon smith character to purchase, up to 2 weapon teams that attach to cd units (not immortals, just the cds) and give him a minor bound item, 1 attack and dispel dice, for like 70 pts or something, like a mix between a (dwarf/empire) engineer and runepriest/warpriest.
method

Postby BenTheRat » Thu May 14, 2009 6:23 pm

to be honest, I hear a lot of you throwing around the weapon team idea. And I just don't care for it. Sounds too skaveny.
Ben The Rat
Tales of Battle
Real Armies
Real Battles

BenTheRat

Postby Zazoo » Fri May 15, 2009 6:05 am

I was wondering why only daemon weapons why not daemon armour?
Or if they could be BSB's then a daemon banner?
Dont argue with idiots they bring you down to thier level and beat you with experiance!!
Zazoo

Postby Zazoo » Mon May 18, 2009 2:07 am

I really like the idea of Deamon smiths but why would they only bind deamons to Weapons.
Why not have Daemon smiths cost 50 Points more.
Then depending on the unit they join they can bind a daemon to one of the following at the beginning of the match.

Thier armour, Thier weapon.
A non magic banner in the unit they have joined.
or the warmachine they have joined.

They would have to remain with the daemon for it to be usable.
Then make the bound level 5 for all of them and everytime they use the bound daemon roll a d6 and on a 1 it escapes and causes the hit on the smith.

Lastly each binding is random and rolled for on a table.
Dont argue with idiots they bring you down to thier level and beat you with experiance!!
Zazoo

PreviousNext

Return to Characters