Moderators: KevinC, mattbird

Death Rocket and Spear Chukka comments here

Postby mattbird » Mon May 11, 2009 12:03 pm

Please post all comments here
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Re: Death Rocket and Spear Chukka comments here

Postby Poxous » Tue May 12, 2009 2:27 pm

Crazy idea.... combine these. Why not have the anti-personal rocket like you have and an anti-armor rocket like a bolt thrower. You drop the bolt thrower from the army and clean up special slots some.
Poxous

Postby mauleed » Wed May 13, 2009 9:09 am

Here's what would be really cool for the death rocket:

It shoots like a cannon, with two rolls (hit and bounce)

However, once it hits something in that line, it stops (or rather goes forward to cover the unt...), then sets off like a stone thrower.

Obviously it's a very accurate stone thrower that way, and should be priced accordingly, and\or moved to rare.

But then it's an effective way to deal with big nasties, and you can drop bolt throwers all together.
mauleed

Postby Matt » Wed May 13, 2009 1:35 pm

Anyone else ever run into 6 bolt throwers?
I'd rather see these at 35 to 40 points. It won't add up for 1 or 2, but might be enough increase to discourage somebody taking 6 or 8.
The fact that the crew suck doesn't matter, pretty much all warmachine crew lose as soon as anything bumps into them.

I would have the death rocket fire like a mortar but use the cannon misfire table. So the center whole is S6 D3 wounds, and the rest is S3. Nice and simple.
A 5" template that only scatters in a single direction is a whole lot better than a normal mortar.

-Matt
Matt

Postby Voyager_3 » Wed May 13, 2009 4:14 pm

I think Dearth Rocket is fine as is. The thing I would change is that on 6 rolled on Misfire chart the rocket Bounces - scatter 4D6" from the point of guessed range. That would keep the fluff from previous editions. :orc thumb:
Voyager_3

Postby mikkjel » Thu May 14, 2009 6:51 am

The bolt throwers are tried and tested as they are, 30 points for 2 crew (as opposed to 35 for 3 or 40 for 4 when taken by orcs) isnt bad. If someone really wants to take 8, that should be handled by comp at the moment.

The death rocket is nice and accurate, but still only s3. I think it might be worth looking into s4 (and no AP, possibly) to make it a bit more dangerous. There is a reason people almost never take mortars. Look at the hellstorm battery. Its not *that* inaccurate, hits at s5 and hits all partially covered models, and its still not taken that often. The death rocket also needs its own misfire chart, for flavour :p
mikkjel

Postby Matt » Thu May 14, 2009 4:41 pm

mikkjel wrote:The bolt throwers are tried and tested as they are, 30 points for 2 crew (as opposed to 35 for 3 or 40 for 4 when taken by orcs) isnt bad. If someone really wants to take 8, that should be handled by comp at the moment.

The death rocket is nice and accurate, but still only s3. I think it might be worth looking into s4 (and no AP, possibly) to make it a bit more dangerous. There is a reason people almost never take mortars. Look at the hellstorm battery. Its not *that* inaccurate, hits at s5 and hits all partially covered models, and its still not taken that often. The death rocket also needs its own misfire chart, for flavour :p

I don't see many mortars, because I don't see many empire players. When I do see Empire, I typically see a mortar or two. When I see ogres, I always see a scrap launcher or 2.
A 5" template is awesome. A S4 5" template would be extremely good.

If you're fighting nothing but 3 units of mounted marauders, chaos knights and characters, I could see that not being great; but a lot of people do actually use infantry, and those 5" markers really hurt.

-Matt
Matt

Postby MantisZero » Thu May 14, 2009 5:42 pm

I agree, i think i will be taking a Rocket in every list i run.
MantisZero

Postby Garrett » Fri May 15, 2009 12:45 am

mikkjel wrote:The bolt throwers are tried and tested as they are, 30 points for 2 crew (as opposed to 35 for 3 or 40 for 4 when taken by orcs) isnt bad. If someone really wants to take 8, that should be handled by comp at the moment.

To be fair, the Hellstorm doesn't get taken because it competes in the Empire list with Steam Tanks and Hellblasters, which, for their nerfing, are still more reliable. And Steam Tanks. Don't forget the Steam Tank.
Garrett

Postby mikkjel » Fri May 15, 2009 1:02 pm

We have a fair amount of empire players here (some good ones too), and will usually see stank/rocket, either because its comped, because people want to keep their friends or becaus 600 points for two stanks is rather much, when you risk running into lists that can actually take them out or neutralize them.

Two cannons and two outrider units is rather common, or two cannons, outriders and pistollers. Mortars are by no means horrible, they just dont get prioritized. I must admit I dont see many scrap launchers, which I dont think is a very good comparison, being a chariot hybrid and suffering from it.
mikkjel

Next

Return to Special