High Priest and Magic comments here

Moderators: KevinC, mattbird

Re: High Priest and Magic comments here

Postby MantisZero » Thu May 14, 2009 5:50 pm

I think an easy fix to prevent the "WTF?" from GT players is to have the TO send the PDF to each person who registers. I know people register by email and the TOs usually reply anyway, so each player has a copy of the book and can bust out thier old army if they so choose!

Most registrations happen 3-4 months before the event anyway, so there would be plenty of time for the average dude to at least just to read it over.
MantisZero

Postby WickerNipple » Fri May 15, 2009 1:04 am

Shit... People can't even turn their lists in on time. They're not going to be reading some newfangled made up thing ahead of time.
WickerNipple

Postby allanmcnab » Fri May 15, 2009 8:55 am

Then who gives a crap about them. If Gw comes out with new skaven this year and I cant be bothered to read the book, pretty much I deserve what I've got coming to me don't I. If everyone coming to the tournament has access to the material beforehand, then they can be prepared.
"I like Weakland because he cries when I fuck him" Pete, at the conflict.
allanmcnab

Postby BenTheRat » Fri May 15, 2009 9:46 am

Trust me, the serious players would have read it, even if they claim they had not.
Ben The Rat
Tales of Battle
Real Armies
Real Battles

http://www.talesofbattle.com
BenTheRat

Postby Matt » Sat May 16, 2009 1:20 am

BenTheRat wrote:Trust me, the serious players would have read it, even if they claim they had not.

I thought the effort here was a middle to lower tier. Yes, I'll bet that most of the serious players will have read it. I'm also going to bet that a lot of the middle and below players have not.

The high Priest has a magic system that is fundamentally different than other magic phases. What is worse, it isn't what people are going to expect, because it is a radical departure from the RH list's magic phase. If we were play testing a list that is going to be published for wide use, I'd say go for it. But we aren't. It's a limited exposure, and should only stray from "normal" to match fluff or models.

I don't think "boundmania" is matching fluff. So, we should ask ourselves, why are we giving them Chaos Dwarves such a different and unique magic phase?

-Matt
Matt

Postby Guy In Suit » Sat May 16, 2009 3:04 pm

Lvl 4s and 2's with death, fire, metal and maybe shadow. Done and done.

Thing again, I really like the lore of Hashut, maybe make it High Priests only.
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby Zazoo » Mon May 18, 2009 1:56 am

Why not make the casting roll a 2D6 roll like all other magic and have it miscast on a double one?
Dont argue with idiots they bring you down to thier level and beat you with experiance!!
Zazoo

Postby DarkbloodSkullpulper » Mon May 18, 2009 10:47 pm

Matt wrote:I don't think "boundmania" is matching fluff. So, we should ask ourselves, why are we giving them Chaos Dwarves such a different and unique magic phase?

-Matt

I love the unique High Priest mechanics, and think that the plethora of bound items all containing bound daemons are pretty fluffy. It's not that different of a magic mechanic, it's essentially a hybrid between normal bound items and the TK magic.

I do think that it's a little too easy for the High Priest to off himself, though. Some 1's early, and you're not likely to use him again unless there is dire need. Plus, the possibility of the enemy dispelling the spell, and the HP still losing a valuable point of intiative kinda sucks. I'd suggest one of two things: either change the 1 in 6 rule to a LD test or else have the stoniness take place only after a successful cast.

The LD test makes good fluffy sense, and unless the enemy has LD modification rules, will only mean a 1 in 12 chance of lithification. Perhaps the High Priest's advance towards obsidian could also result in a -1 Ld characteristic, so that his next try will be a 1 in 6 chance, and the final one a 28% chance? Pros: Fluff, fairer initial odds, higher risk late in the game, doesn't make the Arcane Apparatus mandatory for the HP. Cons: additional complexity.

If the lithification roll only takes place after a successful cast, then there would need to be something done to compensate, or else the turn to stone rule has no teeth at all, unless the HP is allowed to get off every single cast he attempts. Perhaps a 1 in 3 chance of lithification (and spell failure) only if a cating attempt is not dispelled? That'd get a savvy opponent letting a lot of bound spells through to try to decrease the HP's lifespan. Still, if any caster gets off 9 spells a game (average number of casts to turn to stone), then he is rocking the house. Pros: Still fluffy, no double-whammy of a dispelled spell and then also shortened lifespan, the more effective the magic phase is the more danger for the HP. Cons: Could take the HP out of the game very very early with some only slightly bad luck. Makes Aracane Apparatus even more important.

I wouldn't mind seeing a similar mechanic used on the Daemonsmiths, but think their basic rule of burning out on a 1 is basically solid.
DarkbloodSkullpulper

Postby big al » Mon May 18, 2009 11:44 pm

Can the high priest take the enchanted shield?
big al

Postby BenTheRat » Tue May 19, 2009 2:27 pm

Big Al, According to the Chaos FAQ, a chaos sorcerer can take the enchanted shield, because they wear normal armor, so can therefore take magic armor. And the Enchanted shield is magic armor.

So while the HP cannot take a normal shield, he can take a magical one. Of course if he does that he cannot take another set of magical armor. Only his default chaos armor.
Ben The Rat
Tales of Battle
Real Armies
Real Battles

http://www.talesofbattle.com
BenTheRat

PreviousNext

Return to Characters