Bull Centaur comments here

Moderators: KevinC, mattbird

Re: Bull Centaur comments here

Postby Hashuts Scion » Tue May 19, 2009 10:47 am

I will admit I may not be the most knowledgeble person here, but I thought that voluntarily choosing to flee wasn't an option.

Keep in mind that those fleeing fast cav don't panic your Bulls Centaurs or dwarves

So, just how do you get your fast cav to panic, so they are no longer screening?
Hashuts Scion

Postby mattbird » Tue May 19, 2009 1:52 pm

either failing a panic/terror test, or fleeing from a charge. I don't think the poster meant it as an auto-ability, just if it happened, it was nice.
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby Matt » Wed May 20, 2009 1:09 am

Voyager_3 wrote:Keep in mind that this screening unit can fail it's Animosity. So, effectively screwing up two units (them and screened Bull Centaurs). IMHO, with 1/3 chance that something goes wrong this tactic is too much unreliable.

1/6 not 1/3.

A "6" on animosity moves the screen toward the enemy BEFORE charges are declared. This could actually help you.
You know, some people play whole armies that roll animosity, not just the throw away units.
Wait, scratch that.
Some people play who armies of throw away units that suffer from animosity.

It's really not that tough.
Turn 1: Out on a flank, Hobgoblins ride 18" forward and free reform to make a single column (facing toward center), 10" long, blocking at least 10" of line of sight.
Turn 2: Surviving Bull Centaur charge.

If you fail the animosity on turn 1, you're generally ok, you just start the whole process one turn later. If he charges the screen flee or take it. You should care about those 65 point units. You don't have to block all the shooting, just the bulk of it. If you roll an animosity "6" on turn 2, your surviving screen moves itself more out of the way, before you charge.

Really, these guys are HALF the cost of chaos knights. They SHOULD die from shooting. For the points, you should show up with twice as many. Think chaos knight, but show up with 10 instead of 5.

-Matt
Matt

Postby Voyager_3 » Wed May 20, 2009 7:32 am

Matt wrote:1/6 not 1/3.

A "6" on animosity moves the screen toward the enemy BEFORE charges are declared. This could actually help you.
You know, some people play whole armies that roll animosity, not just the throw away units.
Wait, scratch that.
Some people play who armies of throw away units that suffer from animosity.

It's really not that tough.
Turn 1: Out on a flank, Hobgoblins ride 18" forward and free reform to make a single column (facing toward center), 10" long, blocking at least 10" of line of sight.
Turn 2: Surviving Bull Centaur charge.

If you fail the animosity on turn 1, you're generally ok, you just start the whole process one turn later. If he charges the screen flee or take it. You should care about those 65 point units. You don't have to block all the shooting, just the bulk of it. If you roll an animosity "6" on turn 2, your surviving screen moves itself more out of the way, before you charge.

Really, these guys are HALF the cost of chaos knights. They SHOULD die from shooting. For the points, you should show up with twice as many. Think chaos knight, but show up with 10 instead of 5.

Animosity move can shut off Bull Centaurs' field of view (so prevent intendet charge), can result in an unexpected charge or just can position Hobgoblins in such way that BC (or other unit) won't be able to complete charge move. BC must charge (an do it quick) or otherwise die.
It's not a horde army with cheap units and where it doesn't really matter if 2 or 3 units fail Animosity. You have to take care of every precious point spent on BC.
Sure, it all depends on personal style of play. I just don't like when cheap unreliable unit can spoil my devilish plan of enslaving enemies. So, like in the old chaos dwarfy saying: "Do NOT trust greenskins!". :orc thumb:
Voyager_3

Postby wallacer » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:42 pm

Two things I would like to see for Bull Centaurs: Chaos Armour and a magic banner option.

Seems justifiable considering their background fluff, and to keep the points reasonable the Chaos Armour could always just be an upgrade option.

Incidentally, apologies to anyone who has suggested this before. Only just started playtesting the list.
wallacer

Previous

Return to Special