Chaos Dwarf Warrior version 2 comments here!

Moderators: KevinC, mattbird

Chaos Dwarf Warrior version 2 comments here!

Postby mattbird » Mon May 18, 2009 2:23 pm

comments here
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Re: Chaos Dwarf Warrior version 2 comments here!

Postby mattbird » Mon May 18, 2009 3:38 pm

Between Chaos Armor and swivel guns... errr, whatever they are called now.. attachments, I'm definitely into running at least 2 units of these now, maybe at 20-24 models each. With 2+ saves in hth, that's a hard army core. Figure 2 of them, 2 of blunderbusses, and now it's feeling like a Dwarfs of Chaos army, with a reason to take Core. Spears and xtra hand weapons are interesting, but at str 3, I'd pass.

Good change.
mattbird

Postby ryanamandaanna » Mon May 18, 2009 5:55 pm

just fyi, I think it's confusing to have an Eruption gun for the Chaos Dwarfs as well as the Golems, with two different ranges. Is the one listed for the core choice supposed to be swivel gun instead? (obviously it fires like the entry previously titled as swivel gun)
ryanamandaanna

Postby Zhorn » Mon May 18, 2009 6:07 pm

With these changes they look certainly more chaos and i'll try to establish which unit(s) will be more effective on friday: Warriors w/ ratlings (sorry :mrgreen: ) or Immortals w/ blunderbusses...

Tidying up of rules /rules names / units / unit names will certainly come with a future incarnation of the rules pack - no need to worry about it now.

Just from a gut feeling i dislike the swivel attachment (to ratty for me) but perhaps it is the way to go to make both units (warriors and swivels) wanted. I'd rather like to see the swivels as upgrades to blunderbusses and interesting banner options for warriors (in addition to being some of the most durable foot sloggers in the game).
Zhorn

Postby Hashuts Scion » Tue May 19, 2009 6:25 am

This is definitely a new direction. To get eruption guns, I need the basic trooper. If I take BBs (annihilators), then I don't. The basic trooper now also has an option for Chaos armor as well. So, there is now a reason for these rank and files.

Nice change. Hope to play next week.
Hashuts Scion

Postby Alric » Wed May 20, 2009 8:21 am

Blunderbusses targets with multiple wounds and concentrated fire...

For units with targets with more than 1 wound , roll all wound rolls for a total of number of wounds caused then remove models same as you would for normal shooting.
For multiple units in the same fire zone roll hits and wounds for each unit separately.
For characters and monsters in fire zone roll hit and wound for each model , (character , mount, chariot, crew, war machine)

Concentrated fire - 1) must be only model in fire zone or 2) closest target in fire zone to units front.
Roll to hit once for each blunderbuss in front rank normal hit and str , wound modifiers apply. Models on mounts or chariots or other multiple targets randomize hits as normal shooting, roll to wound as normal using blunderbuss str bonus for ranks.
Alric

Postby mattbird » Wed May 20, 2009 9:58 am

I think the BB rules can be simplified, if nothing else. Rolling all those dice, figuring out fire zones, all a pain in the ass. I seriously spend waay too much time figuring shit out in the movement and shooting phase, and it slows the game down unnecessarily.

proposal:

Blunderbuss
12" range
str 3. Add +1 str per current rank bonus up to +2 maximum.
May move and shoot with no penalties.

The unit may either roll to hit normally (1 shot for each model in front rank) OR may fire a special blunderbuss grapeshot attack.

Blunderbuss Grapeshot
Target an enemy unit or model as per the normal targeting rules. Instead of rolling to hit as normal, roll a D6 for each model in the targeted enemy unit. Models are hit on a roll of 4+.
mattbird

Postby DarkbloodSkullpulper » Thu May 21, 2009 12:05 am

I'm against giving the core warriors Chaos Armor. Regular dwarf infantry don't get gromril armor - that's limited to Ironbreakers. Seriously, if the core CD warriors have the Chaos Armor option, I'm never taking the Obsidian guard.
DarkbloodSkullpulper

Postby Hashuts Scion » Thu May 21, 2009 6:18 am

I am curious about one thing, and it can be ignored as the fluff can take into account that when the CDs march to war, they bring as many CDs as possible at that moment.

BUT, if the CDs are supposedly a small amount, is expecting a majority of the forces to be CDs logical and realistic according to the fluff? And if not, what could be a logical limitation on the number of units of CDs?

Just a thought...
Hashuts Scion

Postby Dedwrekka » Thu May 21, 2009 7:17 am

@Hashut's Scion:
They're not that small in numbers. They occupy a large open area of the Old World (Darklands) and have multiple outposts. Sure they aren't as numerous as Empire citizens, but that doesn't mean they're dieing out.

@Darkbloodskullpulper:
I would take Obsidion guard anyways, just for ITP, fear, the extra point of strength, and the extra point of weaponskill all for only one point more than a Chaos Armor and great axe wielding Warrior.
Warrior + Great axe + Chaos Armor= 13 points per model
Obsidion guard = 14 points per model

Now, don't look at that as a need to tone up the cost of Obsidion Guard, they're well pointed at the moment, it's just that you have to add quite a few points to the standard warrior just to get the equipment that the Obsidian Guard has.

On a fluff perspective, Chaos Dwarfs create Chaos Armor for the armies of Chaos. So, I don't think the comparison to dwarfs is accurate in this case, rather, compare their armor to the warriors of chaos.

@Mattbird:
Interesting, but there's easier ways to simplify the task. You could always make a template yourself for the firezone.
Dedwrekka

Next

Return to Core