Daemonsmith character and item comments here

Moderators: KevinC, mattbird

Re: Daemonsmith character and item comments here

Postby DarkbloodSkullpulper » Mon May 18, 2009 11:07 pm

Zazoo wrote:I really like the idea of Deamon smiths but why would they only bind deamons to Weapons.
Why not have Daemon smiths cost 50 Points more.
Then depending on the unit they join they can bind a daemon to one of the following at the beginning of the match.

Thier armour, Thier weapon.
A non magic banner in the unit they have joined.
or the warmachine they have joined.

They would have to remain with the daemon for it to be usable.
Then make the bound level 5 for all of them and everytime they use the bound daemon roll a d6 and on a 1 it escapes and causes the hit on the smith.

Lastly each binding is random and rolled for on a table.

Ick. Now that's just way too messy.

I like the mechanics of the daemonsmiths - even if their bound burns out, they still have some decent offense. Chaos armor and shield gets them to a 3+ AS, but I kinda think they need that extra point of T that is standard for most heroes.

However, I agree that there needs to be some benefit to taking a Daemonsmith in an Overlord list. Rather than generating DD, perhaps one of the daemon weapons could have some anti-magic effect. Scrolls are still possible for overlords or slavemasters via the Hexacon, so if there was a way to beef up magic D just a little bit better from a single Daemonsmith, that'd be cool. Gotta make 'em pay for it, though. and I'd rather see this be from a daemonweapon that doesn't do much else besides magic D, so that the point sink is about the same as a scroll caddy. Seems better to me than a banner or enchanted magic item that gives magic D without taking up valuable slots elsewhere.
DarkbloodSkullpulper

Postby elrodogg » Fri May 22, 2009 12:54 pm

I just posted this in the battle report, but I'll repost it here:

Demonsmith and their weapons should be streamlined.

I would change Demonsmiths cost to about 115 points or so. They should simply allow the demonsmith to cast one spell from the lore of hashut bound level 4 or 5 and give some sort of h2h bonus for their two s4 attacks, say killing blow and no armor saves. Failure to roll a 2+ means they take a wound from the demon lashing out at them.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby Aves » Wed May 27, 2009 5:28 pm

I think idea of DS is great, very refreshing and based on fluff. With sorcerers removed the magic offense is bound to come from boundspells. Its an alternative way of having a sorcerer, more limited but also far more selective. And close combat stats are not so powerfull with only 2 attacks and indeed low T, weapons on the other hand provide with very nice static buffs and increase DS cost to easily 130 pts, for a power level 3-5 ability that can kill him isnt so overpowered.
Aves

Previous

Return to Characters