High Priest and Magic comments here

Moderators: KevinC, mattbird

Re: High Priest and Magic comments here

Postby Border Reiver » Wed May 20, 2009 11:44 am

It is a good thaing that there are so many bound items in a CD list becasue otherwise, thye just arent going to get any spells off.

My experience in this is somewhat biased at this point, as I ended up facing Teclis, but with the sheer amount of Dispel dice my opponent had I managed to get 3 spells/bound item effects off the entire game.

I think something similar to the TK's ability to cast would do well (2D6 to determine casting level and two spells/turn) would work better. also something similar to the Heiratic order wourk work to reflect the social order of CD society (1st - Bound spells in standards/lava golems, 2nd - bound items held by characters, 3rd - Daemon weapon bound effects, finally - High Priest of Hashut)
Border Reiver

Postby Hashuts Scion » Wed May 20, 2009 9:32 pm

I've played for many years. CDs have always been one of my favorites. I will admit I am at odds with the new magic system as presented here. I like the combining of Priest and Mage type system. If they are a 'priest' should their attack be increased to at least 2? Bound spells work well as the level one mages called daemonsmiths. Each one can take a wpn that has a bound spell in it. Ok, but what advantage do they get if they don't? Someone mentioned that blocking a 7+ spell isn't all that hard. And with a 1-in-6 chance of lowering your Int by one makes this a little harsh for what is it.

Suggestion: Going with the idea of fluff and special numbers, we have Slaanish with 6, Nurgle with 7, Khorne with 8 and Tzeentch with 9 (and Skaven with 13). That would leave 5 or 10 as the next two likely candidates. I would say 10. Thus, increase the level of the spell to 10+ and keep it as the 1-in-6 chance. Or, lower the chance somehow to 1-in-36 chance (the chart earlier has some good points) and keep it as a 7. As a TK player, I know of at least one opponent who brings 6 dispel scrolls with him just to play havoc with me (and make sure I never get off my Casket).

Against magic heavy armies, this list is not going to do well as you only have 4 Base DD, and two more per High Priest. Since Daemonsmiths don't generate dispel dice, and I assume no dispel scrolls, it leaves the HP as the only one who can. Now that may be the intent as this is supposed to be a mid-level army, but I am feeling it is a little harsh overall. I will playtest as is and see...
Hashuts Scion

Postby Hashuts Scion » Thu May 28, 2009 8:58 pm

I also have played a game now and was not as happy with the magic phase as I could have been. It didn't help I faced a level 4 Mage Lord, and 3 level 2 mages, each with one dispel scroll. So, my empire friend had 12 Power Dice, and 7 dispel dice. I managed to get a spell of the Hashut lore twice until turn 4 when I started to kill his mages, but by then, the battle was against me. My DS did manage to get his spell off 3 times, but it just wasn't enough. On his turns, he outgunned me in the magic phase completely. Yes, I did have my moments, but it just wasn't enough dice for me. Luckily, I didn't roll a single one during my phases, not that it did me any good.

So, possible corrections: Increase the power level of the Hashut spells, give the DS a DD, make it easier for the army to have more items via banners.
Hashuts Scion

Postby Garrett » Sat May 30, 2009 11:44 pm

Well, your experience completely contrasts with mine, where I seriously beat out a slann/2 mage priest/engine list in the magic phase with no problem.
Garrett

Postby Hashuts Scion » Sun May 31, 2009 12:32 pm

Garrett wrote:Well, your experience completely contrasts with mine, where I seriously beat out a slann/2 mage priest/engine list in the magic phase with no problem.

And that is the reason for playtesting :D ! I had one experience, you have a totally different one. Not to get too much into statistics, but is either one of our experiences the norm or an outliner (a result far different than most)? Two games won't tell us, but 20, 40, 100+ will. That's why I am not totally sold on scrapping the new magic system. I don't think we have had enough games to tell us (but then I am not a mod/writer and see all the results).

I remember most of the players in my area HATED my tomb kings army, especially in the magic phase. Heck, one player usually brought 6 dispel scrolls just to stop the casket that I usually had in my army.He was shocked when I brought a bone giant instead, but then those scrolls just made it harder for me to cast my other spells.
Hashuts Scion

Postby Aves » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:31 am

Did anyone used Chalice combo? To drain D3 dispelldices from opponent in one of moer critical turns or to force him to burn dispell scrolls?
Aves

Postby wallacer » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:35 pm

Not sure if this has been mentioned before (apologies if it has), but I would love to see a Hobgoblin Shaman option in the list to add some low level spell casting capapbility. Perhaps using Hobgoblin infantry as a mainstay unit for them?
wallacer

Postby Hashuts Scion » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:04 pm

wallacer wrote:Not sure if this has been mentioned before (apologies if it has), but I would love to see a Hobgoblin Shaman option in the list to add some low level spell casting capapbility. Perhaps using Hobgoblin infantry as a mainstay unit for them?

I would also like to see this for an all hobgoblin army only. I just don't think our CDs will tolerate a greenie shaman.
Hashuts Scion

Previous

Return to Characters