Magic Phase

This is for Playtesting the Indy GT Chaos Dwarf update

Moderators: KevinC, mattbird

Re: Magic Phase

Postby Matt » Thu May 14, 2009 10:36 pm

method wrote:i like their magic phase, and honestly the average GT player has a strong grasp of the rules....it's not as if you are playing newbies to the hobby...

Their is a difference between having a strong grasp of the rules, and running into an army that has between 5 dispel dice and no spells, and 7 dispel dice and 7 bound spells.
It's like the first time you face Tomb Kings, except you didn't see the army book release, nobody knew about it, and you're facing it in a tournament.

I'm leaning more towards normal magic, and only lores from the basic rule book. Nobody is going to be happy about losing a game to a new army because of a funky magic phase.

I really like the method as is, but this should be about new and creative, it should be a list that people can play blindly and have some expectation about what is going to happen.

I'll be play testing this Sunday. I've talked to a friend of mine, and he hasn't seen the list. He knows I'm playing a chaos dwarf playtest list, and has agreed to take it on, without trying to research the rules; as if he blindly drew a game against me in a GT.

-Matt
Matt

Postby Garrett » Fri May 15, 2009 12:40 am

I played a magic heavy list tonight, against a Slann/2 priest/engine list, and absolutely owned three turns of magic out of five. I lost the game, but magic wasn't the reason-at least directly.

I had 9 bounds-the priest w/the cleansing flare item, 3 daemonsmiths, bound banner, 2 units of golems. FIrst turn I 1'd the +2 spell, was sort of out of range to do anything good, moved on. Killed the ancient steg with 2 downtown bolt thrower shots (I had 1st turn, so no bubble) in my shooting, owned magic turns 2-4. Anyone who think their magic is weak is nuts.

The problem is, to get that kind of magic superiority...you have dingus aside from that. Nothing else really stood out, and my Obsidian Guard got gang-raped and murderized on Turn 5, killing my general and pretty much ending the game. I hurt him, no doubt of that, but aside from magic I didn't have much to hurt.

Honestly, as good as the magic phase can be, I don't think it's worth it unless you're taking a totally min-maxed list so you have an OP shooting phase. I'd rather take a 5DD list, with three or four hammers to smack things into the Obsidian Guard anvil, and move on with my day.
Garrett

Postby Matt » Sat May 16, 2009 1:09 am

That sounds a bit like what I'm going to run...

High Priest, with B4 cleansing flare
3 Daemonsmiths, Bedevilment, soul eater, and parasite blades.

Bound Spells: 7,7,5,4,4,3

16 Blunderbuss dwarves with the magic missile banner (2 characters join)
2x14 blunderbuss dwarves (1 character joins each)
2x10 hobgoblins with bows (never hurts to have a little extra range)
2x20 rabble with light armor, shields, standard, musicians
4x5 Hobgoblin wolf riders with bows, and musician
4 bolt throwers
2 death rockets
2 earth shakers

The plan is to slow the advance via march blocking and earth shaking, and then to shoot and magic the enemy to pieces. My gut feeling is that the magic phase is going to be too good.

I do not know what I'll be facing, though my opponent knows that I'll have a trial army list; and that I'm specifically abusing the list to test it to the breaking point.

-Matt
Matt

Postby jchrisobrien » Thu May 21, 2009 1:25 pm

Call this another vote for the old fashioned power dice system.

While the proposed magic system is interesting and different, the whole point of this army book was to bring Chaos Dwarfs into 7th edition rules. The only changes to the rules should be those that are absolutely necessary. Changes to rules regarding blunderbusses and ranks are good. Creating a new magic system when the CD already have a working, viable magic system is bad. Let them have their power dice, and spell lores. If you really want to introduce a Chaos Dwarf lore, I'm opening to seeing that, but in the standard format.
"Play the game!" --KevinC
jchrisobrien

Postby Matt » Sat May 23, 2009 3:31 am

Petrify:
Choose one unit within 18
Matt

Postby ZiggyQubert » Fri May 29, 2009 1:47 pm

Matt wrote:Then he opens the rule book to "Remains in Play Spells" and points out that he can, and is, choosing to end the spell, right now. Count up combat res, I lose by a bunch, and break; because unbreakable goes away with the spell.

it's not compleatly reliable sence it's only a suggestion, but they have FAQ'd remains in play to be "you should wait for the end of the phase before intentionaly terminating a RIP spell" (warriors of chaos FAQ)
:spacesharks: :Hamelin: :Lilith: Brookie
ZiggyQubert
Site Admin

Postby keithb » Fri May 29, 2009 2:20 pm

But that doesn't mean anything either. They basically said, its cheesy to accept a challenge with your 'call to glory' character, and then end the spell before the opponent attacks, but they didn't say you couldn't do it.
keithb

Postby Dedwrekka » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:48 pm

I'll throw this one out there. This is something that has caused arguments on the Chaos Dwarf sites in regards to the RH list. The Main rulebook, page 106 and the chart on 107. "Dwarfs" get +2 dispel dice. If you intend the Chaos Dwarfs to not get the +2 dispel dice army base, I'd put something in the list to make note of it.
Dedwrekka

Postby Border Reiver » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:59 pm

ZiggyQubert wrote:
Matt wrote:Then he opens the rule book to "Remains in Play Spells" and points out that he can, and is, choosing to end the spell, right now. Count up combat res, I lose by a bunch, and break; because unbreakable goes away with the spell.

it's not compleatly reliable sence it's only a suggestion, but they have FAQ'd remains in play to be "you should wait for the end of the phase before intentionaly terminating a RIP spell" (warriors of chaos FAQ)

The operative word here is "should" a term which has no specific meaning or force. Now if it said "shall", or "must" then it wouldn't be as broken. Better to fix the statement to "RiP until the start of the CD player's next magic phase, unless dispelled by the opposing player."
Border Reiver

Postby Ring87 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:58 pm

I agree with the old magic phase for reason stated. However, I would like to see more of an Empire magic phase with the Deamonsmiths as warrior priests (bounds). Kind of mixing the old with the new without causing a fuss.
Ring87

PreviousNext

Return to Indy GT Chaos Dwarf Playtest Forum