Moderators: KevinC, mattbird

V3 Inferno Golems comments here

Postby mattbird » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:41 am

comments here
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Re: V3 Inferno Golems comments here

Postby elrodogg » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:46 pm

Dunno about these critters. They still seem a little weak for their points, which is a shame considering their potential. My vote is still giving them enough to warrant them costing 65ish points, rather than lowering them to the appropriate point cost.

Birdoff Editing note: The unit description still has them at ws3 while their army list entry is at ws4.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby mattbird » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:50 pm

thanks, they should be WS4.
mattbird

Postby Fool » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:27 pm

Still wondering about the D4 (instead of D3) hits to the unit when the gun missfires. I'd rather not dig out a 4 sided die to use it, though I suppose you could roll 2d6 and divide it into fourths
http://www.dogbark.com
Shamelessly promoting the company I work for, host your website with us.
Fool

Postby mattbird » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:43 pm

I think that is a typo.
mattbird

Postby Matt » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:23 am

Doesn't matter what the gun says. You should be taking the breath weapon. You can march and breathe!

I still don't see a roll for these in the army. Bull Centaurs are better shock troops; faster, and hit harder. Ranks and standard make for better anvils than Toughness and armor saves do. 12 S6 attacks (bull centaurs) is better than the 9 S5 attacks that they bring.

I say make them stubborn, and don't let characters attach. That way they can fill a roll that neither the bullcentaurs or blocks of infantry can fill. They can be the expensive all a rounders. They are quick but not fast, hit kind of hard, and aren't likely to flee. It could be a nice way to hold a flank.

-Matt
Matt

Postby Aves » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:36 pm

12 S6 attacks (bull centaurs) is better than the 9 S5 attacks that they bring.

U havent fought with Tomb Wraiths then, or unit of Plague Bearers with Herald.
Aves

Postby Matt » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:42 pm

12 S6 attacks (bull centaurs) is better than the 9 S5 attacks that they bring.

Aves wrote:
U havent fought with Tomb Wraiths then, or unit of Plague Bearers with Herald.

I have fought Wraiths and plague bearers. I have also fought dragon princes and lords in dragon armor, dwarven heroes who are immune to fire, and empire captains with a 2+ ward vs flaming attacks.
You become useful against a small selection of units, and at the same time, useless against another small selection.
Would you want to go toe to toe with wraiths? I think the wraiths are likely to get the charge off and win. Against the nurgle mob, killing blow works pretty well too; especially on that herald.

Against the vast majority of the enemies you want to throw shock troops at, BC get the job done better.

-Matt
Matt

Postby Aves » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:48 am

Unit of dragon princes, can be killed with myriad of other units.
Tomb wraiths can swipe half of your army.

problem with Herald is that he has 5+ ward and 4+ regen, what cooresponds into 3+ ward.
Aves

Postby Matt » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:35 am

Aves wrote:Unit of dragon princes, can be killed with myriad of other units.
Tomb wraiths can swipe half of your army.

problem with Herald is that he has 5+ ward and 4+ regen, what cooresponds into 3+ ward.

And against killing blow, he only gets to fail a 5+ ward save once, since you cannot regenerate ward saves.
You also have access to a ton of flaming magical missiles.
You could also throw some of that chaos armor + shield infantry at them, and out anvil them.

Good luck getting your M5 120mm frontage into combat with the M6 ethereal skirmishers. The only time you should be fighting wraiths, is when they charge you. When that happens, you'll be losing combat anyway. The only thing the magical attacks golems have will be useful against forest spirits; because their are so many forest spirits on the table, they all can't avoid you.
One slow unit with magical attacks, and the wraiths will still take out half your army.

-Matt
Matt

Next

Return to Rare