V3 Inferno Golems comments here

Moderators: KevinC, mattbird

Re: V3 Inferno Golems comments here

Postby Aves » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:23 pm

And against killing blow, he only gets to fail a 5+ ward save once, since you cannot regenerate ward saves.

I am afraid you are wrong, in a rulebook its clearly written that regeneration is treated as a ward save taken after normal ward saves. Also, there is namely 1 unit immune to fire and few characters with it. (HE, dwarfs, and CD with armor of furnace)

But there is more than 1 unit thats weak against magic or fire.

Hydra,
Unit with Drakenhof Banner
Plaguebeareres with Herald
Driads
Treekin
Treeman
Mummies
Slann with immunity to nonmagical attacks
Trolls
Spirit Hosts
Cairn Wraiths

Good luck getting your M5 120mm frontage into combat with the M6 ethereal skirmishers.

If enemy will avoid them, then 1 wing of my army is safe against them, also wraiths have fighting chance if they kill 2 in first round (assuming they have banshe)
Aves

Postby Renufus » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:33 pm

Aves wrote:I am afraid you are wrong, in a rulebook its clearly written that regeneration is treated as a ward save taken after normal ward saves.

Funny, because on P.95 under the rules for killing blow my rulebook says that no armour saves or regen saves are allowed against killing blows. ;)
Renufus

Postby Aves » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:48 am

Indeed, KB cant be regenerated.
Aves

Postby Matt » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:30 am

Typo on my part. I wrote "Cannot regenerate ward saves" when I meant "Cannot regenerate KILLING BLOW."
My bad.

Nice list you got...
So it's:
A few characters, trolls, spirit hosts, hydras, and ethereals?

As for Immune to Fire:
Brettonians: Dragons Claw (25 points enchanted item)
Dwarves: Runic Talisman (5 points, rune of the furnace)
Empire: The White Cloak (35 points, 5+ ward save, 2+ ward save vs fire)
High Elves: Amulet of fire (20 points, MR1 and immune)
High Elves: characters in Dragon armor, and their mounts
High Elves: Dragon Knights

Yes, it is a short list. The problem is, while ignoring a 4+ regen is nice, and doing double wounds to Tomb Princes is nice; rolling a bucket of dice to hit and wound, and they have your opponent tell you, "Ha Ha, I'm immune", sucks.

I'd take flaming and magical away. Or, show me a model of a golem that looks like it should have flaming and magical attacks. I've yet to see it.

-Matt
Matt

Postby mattbird » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:50 pm

Flaming and magical attacks are ace against a lot of the new uber-units, like hydras, regen VC units, and wraiths. From experience, units that can counter these are required in any army to compete these days. I know on paper many do not like this unit, but those who have played with them are surprised at how well they do. Toughness 5 in a unit is huge, and I think some here are looking past that.

As to what the model looks like, well... make one! We need some to showcase in the army book.
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby Renufus » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:08 pm

Alternatively, they may be a bit small but GW do still sell the old 3rd edition elementals:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catal ... rod1140125

If you painted them all up to look fiery they could all pass as magma elementals.
Renufus

Postby Border Reiver » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:17 am

after initially disliking the unit I've been using them in my last few games and I really am starting to like them. The eruption gun I have with the unit is the only eruption gun in my army that seems to ever hit and wound.

Now the construction weapons should be priced differently as they are of different utility:

Eruption Gun - 40 pts (it's move and fire);
Conflagration Cannon - 30 pts
lava Fire - 30 pts
Border Reiver

Postby Garrett » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:37 pm

I really agree on pricing the construct weapons differently.
Garrett

Postby mattbird » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:42 pm

+2
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby Aves » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:04 pm

I know about killing blow, but Cd have it only on special slot infantry and 1 magic item. And even though Herald can be killing blowed isntead of hitting him with magical attacks, banshee cant, hydra cant, treeman cant and so on. This option is powerfull and Golems could be great flanking unit.
Aves

PreviousNext

Return to Rare