Moderators: KevinC, mattbird

Overlord and Slavemaster comments here

Postby mattbird » Mon May 11, 2009 11:55 am

Please post all comments here
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Re: Overlord and Slavemaster comments here

Postby Poxous » Tue May 12, 2009 4:50 pm

Why take em? Under the current system you need all your characters as spell casters to have a shot at the magic ever working.

How about a lord making the Obsidian Guard core.

Heroes in units makes them stubborn?

Something to make these guys useful.
Poxous

Postby Matt » Wed May 13, 2009 1:26 pm

I had the same thought. I can't see a reason to take these guys. T5 hero is nice, but without the hitting power, you may be just as well off not taking them at all, and using obsidian guard.

Maybe all an Obsidian Guard unit a core choice for each hero you take.

-Matt
Matt

Postby Groznit Goregut » Thu May 14, 2009 7:10 pm

I disagree. The Overlord is the only chance to take the Great Taurus. I like large flyers and the only combat option and large flyer is the Overlord. I plan on taking one.

One thing that I don't understand, though, is why the slavemaster doesn't get chaos armor?
Aye, Gorgut is nothin but a lyin, stinkin, no good git! And he just tried to stick me! Time to bash sum
Groznit Goregut

Postby big al » Mon May 18, 2009 1:30 pm

Yeah he does. And I second what Todd said.
big al

Postby Renufus » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:32 pm

Is there any reason a Slavemaster has BS4 but an Overlord only has 3?
Renufus

Postby Bleyden » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:18 pm

They should both have BS 5, means you can take the Hellfire gun and hit stuff.

I think these guys need a BIG beef-up. They will not be taken in any lists due to the fact that you can spam magic for not much more point-wise. I think there should be a boost in magic item allowances (50-75 and 100-150). This means that you can take a lot more stuff to make your overlord a killing machine and it makes the more expensive items better. With 150 points you can give an Overlord the Axe of Zhraznak and still have points for some more lethalness. Also it means you can give anti-magic items (Helmet, Hexacon, Firestones) to Heroes and still make them hardhitting. You can give a BSB the Armour of Gazrakh AND an Amulet of Hashut and make him a hating indestructible stunty.

I think beefing up magic item allowances is definitely the way to go, otherwise the VERY COOL magic weapon section is pretty useless (with a max of 1 mag.weapon in a 2000 point DS/HP force).

These characters are cool, they just need to be cooler to contest with the HP/DS build. I mean you could have a build of NO magic and still have great defence with 75/150 point allowances.

Overlord
Axe of Zhrazak
Firestone
Gauntlets
Shield

Thats a guy that has MR2, 6+Ward, 3+AS, and 4S7 attacks that ASF. Thats pretty mean and not possible with 100 points.

Slavemaster
BSB
Armour of Ghazrak
Amulet of Hashut

1+ AS, 5+ Ward that hates everyone. Not possible with 50 points.

Slavemaster
Firestone
Hexacon
Hexacon

MR2, 2 Hexacons, ALOT of magic defense if 75 points were available (and hexacons acted like dispell scrolls.
Bleyden

Postby Larro » Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:36 pm

I like the idea of 150/75 pt. magic item allowance for these HTH Hero/Lord options. Give them a neat edge over their magical buddies.

- Larry
"Just being born means you've lost to Larro. Or haven't you gotten the memo yet?" - Nidal

"Larry was right. I know he never gets tired of hearing that." - Canterman
Larro

Postby method » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:05 pm

im NOT on board giving them a higher magic item allowance, but that might be the ONLY way the heroes are ever taken.. (overlord/taurus combo still works)
method

Postby Zhorn » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:03 am

I do not think that a higher magic item allowance is in any way acceptable by the tournament going community. The lord IS an option because of a) the taurus b) LD 10. The slavemaster is a somewhat weaker choice but let's face it: a lot of armies have subpar hero choices and combat oriented heroes are a scarce breed anyways (when you exclude the single BSB).

A better way (IMO) than to expand the magic item allowance to further the acceptance of CD heroes for this list might be the introducion of cheap(er) magic items. That way you'll run a lot less into acceptance problems and the list is low on 15-30 points magic items anyways. In addition, i feel that most armours are overcosted by at least 10 points (due to the fact that CD characters come with chaos armour anyways). Another bunch of anti-magic items (more DD, MR, etc) could also make a lord+hero approach more workable.

I do not think every choice in a book has to be equal - but every choice should be interesting and "workable".
Zhorn

Next

Return to Characters