chaos dwarves core

Moderators: KevinC, mattbird

chaos dwarves core

Postby method » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:14 am

Guys, having playtested the list, do you think we can get away with removing the chaos armor from the regular chaos dwarves? obsi guard, would be fine as they are the "elite" infantry in the list.

I know its not overpowered to say the least, and is backed up in the fluff, but some reactions i got from some local tourny players was one of suprise when told
all my dwarves effectivly were ironbreakers. (bb excluded of course)

BUt if some of the changes that Renufus and larry are included, (points decrease on a number of items / change in unit sizes) then nerfing the cd warriors shouldn't hurt too bad.

in fact they would fill in a need, that of a CHEAP heavy infantry troop choice, along with the facts that they can get weapon team attachments...
if you guys are worried that why people would ever take them?, then i ask, what player would start a CHAOS DWARF army, without chaos dwarves?

i guess the problem lies in the fact that the blunderbusses would autowin the core choice selection, BUT the blunderbusses roll over and DIE in handtohand..

not to mention the list has cool magic, great cav and monster options, awesome shooting, cheap light infantry... basically great list so far..
but less things to "shock" your opponent with, the better me thinks....

jerry
method

Re: chaos dwarves core

Postby Guy In Suit » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:19 am

I think a 2+ is a bit much on core troops as well. Its one of those things that SOUNDS a lot better than it is, but that needs to be taken into account. I know when I played against 2+ CD's, I'd avoid them unnecessarily due to the potential "Crap, I might not do ANY wounds...". Also, with Obsidian Guard at significantly higher points cost, having chaos armour on your core troops makes OG seem overpriced.

Maybe to compensate they should all be able to take a 25 pt magic banner? Dwarves do have all their fancy runes, after all...
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby mattbird » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:31 am

I'm interested in this point guys, so please chime in. thanks!
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby Larro » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:39 am

Personally, I'd never take Chaos Dwarf Warriors with Chaos Armor anyways. Not worth the extra points per model. I'd sooner take an extra rank to preserve the static +3 and have a greater potential for Outnumbering as well, or just put those points towards something else, than I would pay through the nose for a 2+ vs. the 3+ save in HTH on S3 troops that won't kill crap anyways. I just really don't think CA is the issue. I haven't even seriously considered it in any of my lists.

- Larry
"Just being born means you've lost to Larro. Or haven't you gotten the memo yet?" - Nidal

"Larry was right. I know he never gets tired of hearing that." - Canterman
Larro

Postby Border Reiver » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:16 pm

I've been using CA on my warriors lately (last 4 games). I like bringing along the GW as well, so having the best AS I can is helpful in making it into combat.

HA and shield, combined with the T of the warriors is the way to go if you don't go with the GW option to reduce casualties, while CA is definitely what to bring if you intend to use the GW.
Border Reiver

Postby method » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:27 pm

if you want to use great weapons then yes, sure.. but i dont think the common chaos dwarf needs chaos armor, i mean there is a good chance a fully equiped bret lance shattering on the cd wall, the way it is right now and that would be just one of your blocks, (not to mention all the other goodies you are going to zap/shoot/bash the other player with).

save the elite armor for the elite troops.
maybe give the champion a 25pt magic item, or banner like someone had said earlier, keep the weapon teams, and then you have a good unit selection.

what we want is for all the troops to see the light of day right? the entire "there arent any god awful choices, mentality.."
well, i think this works twofold, it allows the ob guard to look much better within the list AND you opponent wont be as shocked, or scared(or hope to avoid) to fight a large part of the army, i.e the chaos dwarves themselves..
method

Postby Poxous » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:09 pm

I have not played vs 2+ CDs as core...

Seems OTT to me in some ways. It also seems really fluffy too. Dwarves are such boring units I understand the need to give them stuff to make them cooler. These guys already get the gun teams.
Poxous

Return to Core