V3 Daemoneater comments here

Moderators: KevinC, mattbird

V3 Daemoneater comments here

Postby mattbird » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:37 am

comments here.

NOTE: The Bull Centaur will be entirely written out of the unit description and fluff for this unit. It will be described as more of a Daemonic engine that takes many forms.
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird
 
Posts: 5595
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: V3 Daemoneater comments here

Postby Border Reiver » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:11 pm

The version 1 of this unit was grossly underpriced for what it could do, but this version is nearly double the price for no increase in capability.

The V2 was quite vulnerable to shooting with only three wounds, and was also vulnerable in HTH with only impact hits and no conventional attacks. Right now it costs more than most chariots for a significantly weaker profile. The price should be around the 105 points it was in version 2, but with the hits in rounds that it did not charge changed to grinding attacks that come in initiative order. There also needs to be an option to allow the pusher to fight with normal attacks to the rear or sides (2 A, S4).
Border Reiver
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 11:55 am

Re: V3 Daemoneater comments here

Postby mattbird » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:39 pm

The pusher Bull Centaur is being written out. It will be described as a chariot-based daemonic engine- so you could use the old Tenderizer/whirlwind for it, or convert something totally unique.
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird
 
Posts: 5595
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:25 pm

Re: V3 Daemoneater comments here

Postby Aves » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:32 pm

Pricely chariot in army where small front chariots are valuable. Good balancing and invaluable for armies with no S7 (aka HE, DE). Not must have anymore, so it should fit in well with the power level that is being aimed for.
Aves
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 2:49 pm

Re: V3 Daemoneater comments here

Postby Border Count » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:14 am

When fighting multiple units, how do you handle impact hits? D3+2 to each enemy unit? Do they occur at Initiative or always first like normal?
Border Count
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:34 pm

Re: V3 Daemoneater comments here

Postby Larro » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:57 am

You split the impact hits evenly amongst the units, as per the FAQ.

- Larry
"Just being born means you've lost to Larro. Or haven't you gotten the memo yet?" - Nidal

"Larry was right. I know he never gets tired of hearing that." - Canterman
User avatar
Larro
 
Posts: 3296
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:52 pm

Re: V3 Daemoneater comments here

Postby Maul » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:53 pm

I think it is a cool idea, but it is just too pricey for me to use it over bull centaurs.
150 points of bull centaur is 5 (fully loaded centaurs and some points for command). Cool idea, but you are going to have to bring the price down under 100 before I will field a unit that is basically disabled until dead. If you want to make it unbreakable and give it 2 hits when it backs up then I would go for 150 points.
Maul
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:37 pm

Re: V3 Daemoneater comments here

Postby Zhorn » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:28 am

Maul wrote:I think it is a cool idea, but it is just too pricey for me to use it over bull centaurs.
150 points of bull centaur is 5 (fully loaded centaurs and some points for command). Cool idea, but you are going to have to bring the price down under 100 before I will field a unit that is basically disabled until dead. If you want to make it unbreakable and give it 2 hits when it backs up then I would go for 150 points.


Amen.

I see no reason to include them any longer at the current rules/points cost. While normally infantry heavy lists profit a lot from chariots i do not htink this is exaclty right for the synergy between CD infantry and (the current) demoneater.

First, the CD army may always fall back on bull centaurs or shooting. Second, the great advantage of other races chariots is the long range projection of power cumulated on a small front base paired with excellent escape and running over capabilities. The demon eater has neither of those advantages (low range and 2d6" flee/pursue move).

It is, like so many things in the CD list, good vs. standard S3, T3/4, Mv 4 Infantry. The "problem" with that is twofold: The list has many, many things to offer to use very effectively vs. bog standard infantry. On top of that, you don't see many bog standard infantry units on the table to begin with.
Zhorn
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 2:52 pm

Re: V3 Daemoneater comments here

Postby elrodogg » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:37 am

This is one unit which everyone felt was overpriced under the v2 costs, and is universally been felt to be overpriced in v3. It will come down in cost in v4.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
User avatar
elrodogg
 
Posts: 5401
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:21 pm
Location: Brooklyn

Re: V3 Daemoneater comments here

Postby mattbird » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:26 pm

Zhorn wrote:First, the CD army may always fall back on bull centaurs or shooting. Second, the great advantage of other races chariots is the long range projection of power cumulated on a small front base paired with excellent escape and running over capabilities. The demon eater has neither of those advantages (low range and 2d6" flee/pursue move).


it's movement 7 and 3d6" flee/pursue, FYI. I'm not sure where you saw differently?

I think unit this will end up at either 135 or 140 pts in V4.
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird
 
Posts: 5595
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:25 pm

Next

Return to Special

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron