V3 CDs v Chaos Warriors

Moderators: KevinC, mattbird

V3 CDs v Chaos Warriors

Postby Border Reiver » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:28 am

Had another game Tuesday night (yesterday was Canada Day and I was making sure the 21 gun salutes went off at Parliament Hill) so here is the report.

I used the new shooting rules for the annihilators, sneaky gits as 8pt models with scout and skirmish, and the 10+ sized unit of Hobgoblin Archers as variations on the printed rules.

My army was:

High priest - Daemonbane
Slavemaster BSB with armour, shield and the Axe of Graznak
Daemonsmith with a shield
Slavemaster with armour, shield and the Hailfire gun

18 Warriors with full command (Stone Totem), chaos armour and shield (the HP and the BSB went here) and an eruption gun
20 warriors with full command, chaos armour, shield and great weapons
17 Annihilators with full command (slavemaster with the hailfire gun here)
14 Annihilators with full command (daemonsmith here)
10 hobgoblin archers
10 sneaky gits
Death Rocket
Earthshaker

My opponent had the following:

Exhalted Champion of Khorne with an axe of Khorne
Sorcerer (lvl 1 with a dispel Scroll - he only tried to use fireball)
6 chaos knights (full command)
6 chaos kngihts (full command)
17 Warriors of chaos with full command, chaos armour (exhalted went here)
18 warriors of Chaos with full command, chaos armour and shield
17 marauders with light armour and shield and full command (sorcerer went here)
Hell cannon

By the end of turn 3 (when we had to stop the game due to store closing) I was in the lead:

one unit of knights was fleeing;
the marauders and the sorcerer were dead, and the sneaky gits were trying to figure out what to do with the rag on a stick; and
the Chaos warriors with the exhalted had been wiped out by one of the units of warriors

I had lost the hobgoblin archers, 7 CD warriors, 1 annihilators and 2 sneaky gits.

Thoughts on this game -

Sneaky gits with skirmish and scout can actually get into postion to execute flank attack - the increased cost, lack of armour, and the inability to remove ranks compensate for the nasty number of poisoned attacks they can unleash in a flank attack (21 attacks on a unit with 4" of flank).

hobgoblin archers - die horribly when charged by chaos kngihts (no surprise there), and did what I needed them to do - redirect the overrun into an area of the board where it was going to take at least 2 more turns to get back into the game

Magma Tide - got it off twice in the last turn (no surprise - his wizard was dead at this point) which allowed be to charge the exahalted's unit. I allowed my opponent to make a normal charge reaction, as most unit moving spells allow charged units to do so.

Lava Storm - does nasty things to infantry units

My eruption guns - never seem to get more than 4 shots a turn and have a distressing tendency to misfire on turn 3.....(as they have done the last 3 games).

The new shooting rules for annihilators - can't tell you how they worked in practice as the units never got a chance to shoot. I can tell you that my gaming group does not see the requirement to change from the RH rules, as they are simple and easy to understand and, for this group anyway, fairly quick to work out.

Must get there earlier next week to get a full game in.
Border Reiver

Re: V3 CDs v Chaos Warriors

Postby Larro » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:46 am

Border Reiver wrote:The new shooting rules for annihilators - can't tell you how they worked in practice as the units never got a chance to shoot. I can tell you that my gaming group does not see the requirement to change from the RH rules, as they are simple and easy to understand and, for this group anyway, fairly quick to work out.

Glad to see you play with a group of people with brains! ;)

Seriously, this game has so many other confusing rules or nuances that make little to no sense - the 12" blunderbuss template really isn't that hard to understand by comparison.

- Larry
"Just being born means you've lost to Larro. Or haven't you gotten the memo yet?" - Nidal

"Larry was right. I know he never gets tired of hearing that." - Canterman
Larro

Postby Guy In Suit » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:08 am

For the 3rd time Larry, its not understanding the concept, it is watching your CD opponent fiddle with his models for 15 minutes each turn setting up the perfect firing zones.

It's effing annoying. :ig:
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby Larro » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:12 pm

The V3 rules don't require this, so remind me again wtf is wrong with them that we can't just move forward with the V3 BB rules as they are now?

- Larry
"Just being born means you've lost to Larro. Or haven't you gotten the memo yet?" - Nidal

Larro

Postby Larro » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:14 pm

And also, I don't know if you've played against retards or what, but what fiddling? It's a template weapon, anything partially hit is hit on a 4+ anyways like any other hit, so I'm not sure how much fiddling is required to get a 5 or 6 model wide 12" template to hit its target.

- Larry

Larro

Postby Border Reiver » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:32 pm

Also, how much fiddling can you do with a unit that has to wheel to change facing? Shouldn't need to play like a chess match, but f someone's taking that long to fiddle with the facing of the unit to arrange the firezone, then maybe you need to institute the house rule of "the unit cannot be moved again that move phase once you take your hands off it."
Border Reiver

Postby DarkbloodSkullpulper » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:26 pm

I'll admit to being a fiddler under the RH rules. I'd say that my perhaps-overly-careful movement phases came about from the following:
1) not being able to shoot if friendly models are in the kill zone. Mix that with trying to get some screening from hob speedbumps or shooting past fleeing hobs, and it can get tricky.
2) enemies coming in from the flank - requiring a change of facing, expansion of frontage, and some wheeling to the extent possible. Sometimes the wheel comes before change of facing, sometimes after.
3) Move or retreat to get 9" away on an enemy with 8" move, or 11" away when there is 10" move.
4) Retreat to get at least half an enemy's charge distance away, to maintain a stand and shoot reaction.

#3 and #4 don't require much finesse, but when they are combined with some wheeling to maximize the kill box, it can add some time to the movement phase. Part of my caution also came from the fact that blunderbusses can put some serious hurt on infantry, and I didn't want to just go so fast as to be imprecise and/or give the impression that I'm just pushing my guys around to where they can do the most damage without really measuring.

On an angled wheel, even 1/4 of an inch can result in an extra 3 or 4 enemy models being hit. The same goes for a turn, move, turn maneuver.
DarkbloodSkullpulper

Postby Hashuts Scion » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:44 pm

The kill zone template, heck, any template can be a source of anxiety on both sides. Is that figure completely under? Is it the figure or the base? If the base, then the 3" template can only get a partial against a chariot, 50mm monster, and so on.

As far as fiddling, I plead guilty as charged on occasion. I do it for many reasons, but the major is to help my guys win. It is also easy to move them a little more than should be at times, and sometimes is it accidental. So, the removal of the BB/annihilator zone was a welcome relief to me. It would make the shooting easier to do, less time to ensure what is being hit, and so on.

But, I am willing to play either way. If the kill zone is brought back, then let it hit friend or foe, as long as the friend is green...
Hashuts Scion

Return to Battle Reports