V3 CDs vs. Orcs

Moderators: KevinC, mattbird

V3 CDs vs. Orcs

Postby Border Reiver » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:06 pm

Since last week I've had three games against O&G - my eldest (Walker) was the general for two of the games and Andrew (a Cdn GT competitor) the other.

The games were: Draw against Andrew and two wins (a major and a minor) against my son.

Walker played with a horde - lots of basic orcs, a unit of Biguns, a unit fo black orcs some trolls and a giant. Walker figured out quick that his lack of moblity allowed me to castle up quick and force him to fight battles on my terms. His giant danced all over my warriors with choas armour in one game, but when that was the only model left he knew it was time to quit.

The current rules for Annihilators (S4, fire in 3 ranks, etc) damn near caused a tear fest when he realized how many dice I was rolling to hit. After 13 years of the kill zone it just felt wrong.

I was glad we weren't have the 5th ed rules for hobgoblins, as his entire army would have been immune to animosity (back then, the feelings of animosity would be suppressed as the enemy O&G would work together to smack the hobgobbos around.

Magic was a draw - he'd managed to kill one of my daemonsmiths the same turn as I killed one of his shamen.

Combat - it was numbers against heavy armour - and given the pathetic rolls I had to hit it was a good thing that I had the armour game one. I was really embarrasing to have the inferno golems hold up against a chariot attack to the front with no wounds, but to loose to a bunch of snotlings that came in on my flank.....

Andrew was a different story. More elites and a reasonable amount of cavalry. The game back and forthed for 6 turns and ended with a 50 point difference between the two of us. Andrew thinks that the fire zone is a better way to work out the blunderbuss as well.
Border Reiver

Re: V3 CDs vs. Orcs

Postby mattbird » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:34 pm

thanks! I have given up on the "fire in 3 ranks" thing myself. any other observations?
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby Border Reiver » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:26 am

It really felt wrong that a unit of Snotlings in the flank would cause a unit like Inferno golems to break and run.

Other than that, the games played very smoothly, no real hiccups or questions about what did what, and no feelings that certain combos, etc were OTT. Walker, being just about 10, didn't have to many observations past "You lost your golems to my SNOTLINGS Dad!" Andrew is of the opinion that the list is pretty well balanced at this point, but like several other people doesn't see the need to change the Blunderbuss rules from RH.
Border Reiver

Postby mattbird » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:30 am

cool, thanks. Snotlings can beat pretty much any unit they charge in the flank, if dice go the right way. It never seems right, but it happens!
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Return to Battle Reports