Hong Kong GT: Iyanden Blog

Painting and converting tips, show off your models, get advice!

Hong Kong GT: Iyanden Blog

Postby -the black prince » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:50 pm

I'm starting this to force myself to knuckle down and finish off my Iyanden GT list. An avalanche of reasons mean the stuff that is being shipped from Ireland to Hong Kong, (more wave serpents, falcons and wriath lords than the mind can comfortably imagine) will probably not get to Hong Kong in time for the GT, and almost definately not in time for me to paint.

As I'm a 40K incompetant, and as I'm too poor to shell out another HK$1500 in getting all the transports i want, I'm not even going to try and match my 5th place in the Fantasy GT, but have set my sights on winning best painted.

Army list and troop choices are limited to what looks good and what i don't have to buy.

Painted so far:
5 pathfinders
5 Wraithguard
Most of a wraithlord.

To Paint:
10 dire avengers
farseer on jet bike
8 harliquins
2 warlocks
5-10 wraithguard
more gems than the mind can comforably imagine
Display bas
-the black prince

Re: Hong Kong GT: Iyanden Blog

Postby -the black prince » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:11 am

OK: got high on plastic glue last night and put all my dire avengers together. Great looking models that look dreadful when posed shooting. These guys are supposed to be uber-warriors, so i wanted them to look imposing, and with abs like those why not show them off?

A bit of cutting and chopping, and got some nice poses, particularly happy with my exarch. These guys are all based on modelling cork, which is pretty fragile, but strong enough to support plastic figures. Once stuck on with super glue, i fill in around the foot with gren stuff, to make sure they have a good base to stand on. (This is exactly the same process as the metal pathfinders above, but the pathfinders were pinned through one foot all the way to the base at the bottom [usually into the greenstuff filling the slot])

Fareeer:
Now my local shop didn't have the farseer i wanted, the one with the arcing headpiece, but i settled with this one rather than wait for GW shipping to get another one to HK.

He's all gown, but i chose a line across the top of his belt, and cut straight straight through, and it should be fairly easy to cover up the cut when he is on the jetbike.

Jetbike:
A great looking model that just seems wasted on the standard mounting. And my farseer is from Iyanden, so it's important he doesn't die, so he's flying at breakneck speed, ALL the time. :) Had a go at making greensuff moulds, and wasted a lot of greenstuff: but got some pieces to put onto the jetbike hood.

Wanted to change the profile - and found some foregworld bits (crystal targetting matrix) - that i wasn't going to be using again, and cut the fins off those and added them to the end of the wings.

The hand holding the staff is pretty impossible to realign into a dynamic manner, so i gave him a witchblade, although i think he'd probably be better off with a singing spear, :x . I should have cut him off at the bottom of the belt, not the top, and so have lifted him a little higher from his seat which i'll have to cover up when i put him onto the base.

The jetbike is mounted on a paperclip that i straightened out and removed the kinks with clippers. One curled end is superglued onto the flying base, and then covered with greenstuff. The base is a combination of greenstuff and cork. The wire goes through the cork.

-the black prince

Postby AndyP » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:28 am

Looking good. My favourite is Mr Pointy the Dire Avenger.

Andy P
Duncan: I don't think you really comprehend the enthusiasm many people have for all things Potter.
AndyP

Postby -Jarrett » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:05 am

You had me at Iyandin. |I
-Jarrett

Postby slann » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:41 am

so aaaaaaaaaaaa is that wriathlord ever getting a head
, and not in the sense is he going to be promoted .
Would you rather pew pew pew pew or chic chic BLAM !!! chic chic BLAM !!!!
slann

Postby Amazonwarlord » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:24 am

Absolutely beautiful Justin !!
"I have not failed, I've just found ten thousand ways that won't work." – Thomas Edison
Amazonwarlord

Postby -the black prince » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:06 pm

latest pictures of the dire avengers. I started off doing these guys in iyanden colours, but they looked silly, so i went for the standard blue and white, and have given them iyanden headdresses.

gave the body a brown/black wash to dull down the blue and also to give some shading.
-the black prince

Postby VectorAWX3 » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:56 pm

Fantastic! I love the reposed plastic minis. And the basing is great! Can't wait to see the whole thing. If this doesn't place in the appearance/player's choice voting, I'd be very curious to see what does
Jaghatai, on the Pale Rider event: I hop on this board to post a simple NEWCC question, end up looking at some interacial lesbian action and watch a religious meltdown. You guys know how to party!
VectorAWX3

Postby -Jarrett » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:15 pm

I'm curious, can you give us some sense of the time involved for the conversions/painting/basing
-Jarrett

Postby -the black prince » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:20 am

The basing was about an hour, sitting with a pot of green stuff, some cork, bases and the legs of the figures. I played around putting the cork in place, and then seeing how i could get the legs on in an interesting way.

Then half an hour to superglue sand on, and then I stuck the bodies and arms on.

Painting so far has taken me about two hours: regal blue with a black/skin flesh wash, then a pale grey coat on the helmets, followed by a couple of coats of white, and the helmets crests were painted purple and yellow and grey, then highlighted with yellow/blue/white, with final highlights of yellow+white and blue+white.
-the black prince

Next

Return to Modeling and Painting