1000 point VC vs all hob (v3)

Moderators: KevinC, mattbird

1000 point VC vs all hob (v3)

Postby Hashuts Scion » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:12 am

I knew this was going to happen, but I wanted to try it anyway.

I took as much firepower as I could using nothing but hob figures. So,
1 unit sneaky
2 bolt throwers
1 units wolf rider
2 units stikkas
1 unit hobs

I faced 1 unit death knights, 2 units wolfs, 1 unit skeletons, 1 unit zombies, all very small size. Even though I had four dice, he had 6 power and was able to get Nehek off at least once per round, increasing the wolves and other units. I had one battle where I actually outnumbered him and also hit with sneaky's in the flank, but the combination of animosity, fear, and being outclassed magically all led to a defeat by turn 4.

So, my thoughts are that an all hob army needs a little more punch of something to make it more worthwhile. I asked for a rematch with 1500 pts, and I think of being a little more sneaky. We'll see. I know this is v3 and v4 is right around the corner, but I also know very little is being done on just hobs.

Bob
Hashuts Scion

Re: 1000 point VC vs all hob (v3)

Postby Border Reiver » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:14 pm

What are stikkas? Hobgoblins with spears? What size units did you take - and what characters?

What did your opponent take character wise?

Best you can hope for with all hobgoblins is wolfriders with spears, or a hero on foot with a great weapon for a unit with a punch. Hobgoblins are not crack elites so lets not expect too much from them, but against VC you definitely on the backfoot before the battle started due to psychology.

Let us know how the 1500 pt game went.
Border Reiver

Postby Hashuts Scion » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:22 pm

Not at home where I have the lists, but faced hero level Mannfred, level 2 Vamp and Wight Lord BSB leading unit of Death Knights.

Stikkas are what I call hobs with bows. I could see confusion with spear units. Sorry. 2 units of 10
i unit of 5 wr, 1 unit of 10 wr, 20 strong sneaky, 20 strong hob warriors.
Hashuts Scion

Postby Matt » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:43 pm

So, you took a low leadership army, and tried to shoot to death an army that doesn't panic, doesn't break, and can replace lost models.

Vampire Counts is a tough pair up for any low leadership army. It's a tough pair up for a gun line. You took both.

Count your blessings that he didn't show up with a big unit of wraiths.

-Matt
Matt

Return to Battle Reports