V4 Daemonsmith comments here!

Moderators: KevinC, mattbird

Re: V4 Daemonsmith comments here!

Postby Renufus » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:46 pm

I agree, Daemonsmiths need to be able to default. I'd be pretty pissed off if I rolled Commandment of Brass and there was absolutely nothing to cast it on. The automatic casting of Wall of Fire or Doom and Darkness is balanced out by the fact that these spells can usually be dispelled using only two dice and will never be IF, we don't need another drawback on top of this.
Renufus

Postby KevinC » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:56 pm

I'm not saying they should not have the default, obviously whether it is balanced or not, it is a better option for the Chaos Dwarf player.
Common Goblins iz da best!!

Check out my Gobbos at:http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_Warpath/index.php?showtopic=28856

'I am the son of Aenarion, and where my blade falls, death follows.'
- Malekith, Prince of Nagarythe
KevinC

Postby Larro » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:08 pm

KevinC wrote:I'm not saying they should not have the default, obviously whether it is balanced or not, it is a better option for the Chaos Dwarf player.

Well, I'm not quite sure what you're saying then, because I cannot reconcile the above with this from the Living FAQ:

DAEMONSMITHS
Q: The random spell for the daemon weapon, can it be defaulted?
A: No. -Kevin

Emphasis on both obviously my own.

- Larry
"Just being born means you've lost to Larro. Or haven't you gotten the memo yet?" - Nidal

"Larry was right. I know he never gets tired of hearing that." - Canterman
Larro

Postby neiltj1 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:10 pm

The Daemonsmith is "neat", but why not just have the sorceror like in Ravening Hordes? The area I play in metas very tough magic lists. I just dont see lvl 5 bound spells powering through the numbers of DD I see around here. TBH The only thing I currently dislike about your list is the lack of sorcs. (especially since i have 2 converted)

Neil
neiltj1

Postby KevinC » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:45 pm

Well, I'm not quite sure what you're saying then, because I cannot reconcile the above with this from the Living FAQ:

-----------Because that is how I wrote the rule, this is not the final version. When I wrote the rule I teetered back and forth on which way to go. I decided to go with not allowing default, but that can def change.

Kevin out
Common Goblins iz da best!!

Check out my Gobbos at:http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_Warpath/index.php?showtopic=28856

'I am the son of Aenarion, and where my blade falls, death follows.'
- Malekith, Prince of Nagarythe
KevinC

Postby Larro » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:23 pm

neiltj1 wrote:The Daemonsmith is "neat", but why not just have the sorceror like in Ravening Hordes? The area I play in metas very tough magic lists. I just dont see lvl 5 bound spells powering through the numbers of DD I see around here. TBH The only thing I currently dislike about your list is the lack of sorcs. (especially since i have 2 converted)

I've tried valiantly to fight this Battle from Version 1, and the powers that be refuse to budge on the sorcerer thing. I agree that 6 or 7 dice from a Level 4 with 2 bound 5s isn't enough to motor through the Dispel dice you see these days, but it's not awful, and I don't forsee them changing it, so we're stuck with a middle magic phase and, at the moment, no ability to default either. :?

- Larry
"Just being born means you've lost to Larro. Or haven't you gotten the memo yet?" - Nidal

Larro

Postby Aves » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:27 pm

Larro, how annoying you are occasionally, On their own power level 5 are kinda alright, it could be fireball it could be doom and darkness, but if u get a high priest with chalice then normal opponent would have to dispell this boundspells with 1 dice each or let 1 in and dispell other one with 2 dices, assuming that he will also dispell stuff high priest might cast.

Is prohibiting DS from deafoult option bad, well yes, for Cd player, but if this make someone to take lore of fire only or not is matter of character. I would risk metal or shadow, but i find this risk worth taking.
Aves

Postby elrodogg » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:39 pm

If you're going the magic route, you'll also be packing the Daemon Bane and the Banner of Daemonic Tides. A magic phase consisting if 6 power dice and 4 bound spells (3,4,5,5) is nothing to sneeze at. That should be factored in as well.

However, I do feel that a player should have the option of either defaulting to the level 1 spell or they should know 2 random spells (with no defaulting) and are able to choose one. It really would stink to have a useless daemonsmith for a game.
Fast, like kittens with jetpacks.
elrodogg

Postby Larro » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:53 pm

The Banner of Daemonic Tides is balls. The fact is that 9 times out of 10, you'll want the War Banner on that same exact block, and only 1 unit can get a Magic Banner unless you ALSO force yourself to take the still-pricey, still-taking-up-a-valuable-special-slot Obsidian Guard. So, where exactly does this Daemonic Tides banner go?

That's another thing - once again, in an act of obvious hatred towards the Magic phase and all things competitive, Kevin Coleman ELIMINATES the Bound Fireball Banner, and gives us this poor replacement.

I mean, you can deny being anti-magic all you want, but at some point you need to realize that if it walks like a duck and qualks like a duck, it's a friggin duck. And in this case, it's an anti-Magic Duck.

- Larry

Larro

Postby Larro » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:15 pm

Ronen Warrior wrote:However, I do feel that a player should have the option of either defaulting to the level 1 spell or they should know 2 random spells (with no defaulting) and are able to choose one. It really would stink to have a useless daemonsmith for a game.

And this is a great suggestion. Either of the 2 would work, though I think it's possibly a little better balanced IF you can Default, since if you're throwing 2 dice, you have a much better chance of nabbing a truly nasty #6 spell like Spirit of the Forge, etc. I think 1d6, with Default, is the fairest way.

- Larry

Larro

PreviousNext

Return to Characters