V4 High Priest/lamassu comments here!

Moderators: KevinC, mattbird

Re: V4 High Priest/lamassu comments here!

Postby Renufus » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:37 pm

KevinC wrote:He also have +1 Attack compared to RH with the option of 3 Attacks (Arcane Apparatus) + a magic weapon. So, if you choose you can make a fighty wizard. I can see him a 200 pts but no less.

Kevin out

I'd say 200pts is about right. Any more than that and you're starting to approach Elf wizard territory, and a High Priest is nowhere near Supreme Sorceress or Archmage level (don't even mention Spellweavers, everyone knows Wood Elf magic users are poop).
Renufus

Postby Matt » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:25 pm

T5 on a wizard is huge. 2 attacks is nice, and he has plenty of gear to make this guy an actual threat to flank.

I think the points are fine as is. Then again, with the ~500 to 540 point build that I would run, plus or minus 20 points isn't that big of a deal. (level 4, + flying mount, +80 to 100pts of gear).

-Matt
Matt

Postby mikkjel » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:35 am

t5 on a wizard is decent, but not great. There is a reason why we rarely see any sorts of protective gear on normal casters (VC, slann and supreme sorcs exempt because they either need protection or have access to very cheap/free and/or very potent wards. Same goes for toughness. Casters dont want to be in combat and dont want to get shot at, so its only really coming into effect if youve screwed up something or miscast.
mikkjel

Postby Larro » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:36 am

Right. T5 is largely irrelevant when the guy's obvious drawback is that he doesn't want to be in 95% of Combats or in LOS anyways.

- Larry
"Just being born means you've lost to Larro. Or haven't you gotten the memo yet?" - Nidal

"Larry was right. I know he never gets tired of hearing that." - Canterman
Larro

Postby mattbird » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:54 am

T5 is always handy- you cannot protect him from attacks in every game, particularly if on a lammassu.
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby mikkjel » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:42 pm

Handy - yes, worth paying points for - no. You dont complain if you get good stats, obviously, but if you have the choice of paying for them, you probably wouldnt.
mikkjel

Postby Matt » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:26 pm

Larro wrote:Right. T5 is largely irrelevant when the guy's obvious drawback is that he doesn't want to be in 95% of Combats or in LOS anyways.

- Larry

Really? My Orcs with bows have put down a good number of Elf Dragon Mages.
Large Target, T3, and the bows ability to move and fire lets it really hamper the T3 guys ability to move about the battle field.

On the other hand, my T5 Great shaman on Wyvern is able to hold up against Elf bow fire just fine.

T3 is wounded 3 times as often as T5 by S3. T3 is wounded twice often as T5 by S4.

T5 is a very valuable boost on a wizard on a large mount. Elf bows can move 5" and shoot 30". That means you're either hiding (not so good for most wizards), staying out of the 35" effective range (again, not so good for most wizards), or taking the shooting and hoping for the best.

-Matt
Matt

Postby Larro » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:50 pm

Matt wrote:Really? My Orcs with bows have put down a good number of Elf Dragon Mages.

You played someone who took a Dragon Mage.

The rest of your post is therefore irrelevant.

- Larry
"Just being born means you've lost to Larro. Or haven't you gotten the memo yet?" - Nidal

"Larry was right. I know he never gets tired of hearing that." - Canterman
Larro

Postby mikkjel » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:20 am

There is always the option of hiding. We do mostly play with terrain, dont we?

As for elven bow fire, high elves are hardly what we'd call dangerous. WE on short range and DE, on the other hand, can put out enough firepower to worry even a t5 character. Then there are also war machines, who totally dont care what your toughness is, because they will be wounding you on 2s most of the time.
mikkjel

Postby KevinC » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:58 pm

Right. T5 is largely irrelevant when the guy's obvious drawback is that he doesn't want to be in 95% of Combats or in LOS anyways.

---------You right, I'm dropping him 30 pts and making him T3.
Common Goblins iz da best!!

Check out my Gobbos at:http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_Warpath/index.php?showtopic=28856

'I am the son of Aenarion, and where my blade falls, death follows.'
- Malekith, Prince of Nagarythe
KevinC

PreviousNext

Return to Characters