New Construct Weapon, please try with Inferno Golems

Moderators: KevinC, mattbird

Re: New Construct Weapon, please try with Inferno Golems

Postby mattbird » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:47 am

sorry, this upgrade expansion is Kevin's baby, so I cannot comment. He does not check in daily...
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby KevinC » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:30 pm

Garrett,

Give them a try and report back, there has been no decision yet regarding them, though if they are included they will probably be simplified a bit more, I like your suggestion.

Thanks,

Kevin out
Common Goblins iz da best!!

Check out my Gobbos at:http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_Warpath/index.php?showtopic=28856

'I am the son of Aenarion, and where my blade falls, death follows.'
- Malekith, Prince of Nagarythe
KevinC

Postby Garrett » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:27 am

Okay, +2S on the golems is a bit insane. I basically allocated 50 points in my list-dropped some rabble-to make them +2S and added +1 to their armor. They were very very good. Probably a bit too nasty, to be perfectly honest, I think S6 might be better for them as the upgrade. It makes it a little less of a no-brainer, to be honest.

They definitely could use the reasonably priced upgrades, though, they changed the unit from something that was annoying to my opponent to something he specifically had to deal with. I played two games tonight. The first, against Dan's gnobbos, it didn't really matter one way or another, but that game was painful in the dice for both of us. My second game, against lizards, the golems became very attractive as the stegadon killer. Had I not made a stupid idiot mistake with my general, I probably would've won the game, but I'm still getting used to a large flying general that actually does something, so *eh*. I think my suggestion on upgrades could work if they're priced reasonably and responsibly.
Garrett

Postby Hashuts Scion » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:59 am

I'm in the camp of liking the upgrades. Making it ONE close combat weapon upgrade is easier to explain to opponents. Giving them 3+ armor makes them more unique as does dropping the cost to 60. I really like the one that makes the unit have a command ability (sb, musician).
Hashuts Scion

Postby Larro » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:01 am

These guys should have been 60 pts. with a 3+ Save from the beginning. Treekin are 65, with a 4+/5+ and Move Through Woods. This is very easily worth 5 extra pts.

The upgrades are neat in that they allow conversion opportunities, but I do think maybe making them a little less overtly powerful, i.e. toning them down a bit, and lowering their costs a bit as well, would be a better route for a fan-made book, and would require way less individual bookkeeping.

- Larry
"Just being born means you've lost to Larro. Or haven't you gotten the memo yet?" - Nidal

"Larry was right. I know he never gets tired of hearing that." - Canterman
Larro

Postby Garrett » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:03 pm

Well, like I said, the +2 strength might be better as +1 instead. The 3+ armor save is a must-buy, really. Two of my golems are actually already built, and one of them's got a chaingun sorta thing on it, but I don't think anyone's going to bitch too much if they have a CCW upgrade instead.
Garrett

Previous

Return to General discussion