Dwarfs of Chaos Errata and FAQ (7th Edition)

Moderators: KevinC, mattbird

Dwarfs of Chaos Errata and FAQ (7th Edition)

Postby KevinC » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:18 pm

Please post any rules questions you have about the Dwarfs of Chaos army book here. In the near future, our intent is to release one more final version with corrections to errors and typos in the current book along with an errata and FAQ. Note that we do not intend to change any rules, but simply to clarify and correct errors in the army book.

Thanks!

Dwarfs of Chaos Errata

Errata: A Giant Wolf for a Hobgoblin Overseer should be 12 points, not 18 pts. -Kevin

Errata: The Kollosus Daemon Tower has the Slave Lords and Unyielding special rules. In addition, a Kollosus Daemon Tower may never make a march move, though still doubles its movement when charging. - Kevin

Errata: Annihilators must be five models wide in order to fire. - Kevin

Dwarfs of Chaos FAQ

Are shots from the Hailfire Gun magical?

---------------Yes, it is a magic weapon. -Kevin

If a Daemonsmith joins a daemon engine, and it misfires and explodes, does he die like the rest of the crew, or survive like a regular character?

--------------The Daemonsmith would only be killed in this manner if he is acting an a crew member.-Kevin

Can Daemonsmiths take "Daemonbane"? (due to multiple bound spells)

--------------No, as per the rulebook characters may not carry more then one magic item that contains a bound spell. Since the Daemonsmith's Daemon Weapon counts as a magic weapon and contains a bound spell, he may not take another bound spell magic item. - Kevin

Do characters in a unit being shot at by Blunderbusses get a "Look Out Sir!" roll, are they treated as rank and file, or do they get hit on a 4+?

-------------They get hit on a 4+, no look out sir. -Kevin

If a character wearing Armor of the Furnace rides a Kolossus Tower, does it become immune to flaming attacks?

-------------Yes, the Kolossus becomes immune to flaming attacks.-Kevin
Common Goblins iz da best!!

Check out my Gobbos at:http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_Warpath/index.php?showtopic=28856

'I am the son of Aenarion, and where my blade falls, death follows.'
- Malekith, Prince of Nagarythe
KevinC

Re: Dwarfs of Chaos Errata and FAQ

Postby WickerNipple » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:06 pm

KevinC wrote:
Do characters in a unit being shot at by Blunderbusses get a "Look Out Sir!" roll, are they treated as rank and file, or do they get hit on a 4+?

-------------They get hit on a 4+, no look out sir. -Kevin

This strikes me as a remarkably bad idea that you should reconsider.

Are shots from the Hailfire Gun magical?

---------------Yes, it is a magic weapon.

My Reaver Bow was already jealous this thing is almost half its price, but now it's magical too...! Hard to say whether it would be better to be consistent with the other FAQs, or just write the HE FAQ off as pure stupidity and move on with things as they should be.

Still crazy jealous about the price, but this is the real teeth kicker on the man already down. :lol:
WickerNipple

Postby mattbird » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:21 pm

yes, undo the blunderbuss look out sir thing, please
jer732 wrote:Birdoff makes me want to rage quit life
mattbird

Postby Guy In Suit » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:50 pm

WE FAQ also doesn't give you magical attacks for Bow of Loren, only for magical arrows...
2014: 91/52
Guy In Suit

Postby Arash » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:04 pm

Neither does it allow for Lifetaker to be magical.

The only magical bow is the Lizzie one, because it shoots beams of light. Or whatever.

Also, agree that blunderbusses need to be changed.
واعظان کاین جلوه محراب و منبر میکنند چون بخلوت میروند، آن کار دیگر میکنند

حافظ
Arash

Postby WickerNipple » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:13 pm

Being cheaper than all those other items, this one is definitely the one to deserve magical attacks!
WickerNipple

Postby Garrett » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:37 pm

I totally get what you guys are saying here, but we have to ask ourselves something with this book. It's one thing to constrain ourselves to GW's inane and poor rulebook writing, it's another thing to constrain ourselves to GW's inane, erratic, and completely retarded FAQing. With the success of this, I really don't see any reason not to just write an Indy FAQ that supersedes the GW FAQs on the circuit, but I suppose that's another thread. Are we really going to perpetuate the idiotic idea that a magic weapon doesn't produce magical attacks? I know GW's done it, and it's stupid, and sucks for those armies. But is that something we want to continue with?
Garrett

Postby WickerNipple » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:55 pm

Well, it's certainly nothing I wanted to start... The only person who wanted this to start was the intern they let answer the FAQs with no adult supervision.

Continuation? Mmmm... consistency does have its place. If you answer the exact same question in the opposite direction, you're just adding to the dart-board mentality that GW already uses to answer their FAQs. In a way, answering the question like this exactly perpetuates GW's stupidity because it just further underlines that every single FAQ question will be get the knee-jerk "Of course it's like this! Duh!" with no real rhyme or reason involved.

Further, the actual answer here: "Yes, it is a magic weapon," is a lie within the framework GW already provides -- magic ranged weapons frequently don't provide magical attacks. Ya can't just act like you're giving the default answer. Answer the question with something like "We believe all magic weapons provide magical attacks unless stated otherwise." At least then you're giving your opinion as an answer instead of saying something that is blatantly untrue.

Finally, the fact that it's better and cheaper than the other options AND gets magical attacks just plain STINGS. :lol: :lol:

All that having been said, they've already gone wifflewaffle and given the Lizard item magical attacks, so it's not the most heinous thing in the entire world, and there's now no way to ever be consistent with items of this kind... *shrug* You'll have to call it like ya see it. I say it stings. :D
WickerNipple

Postby WickerNipple » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:11 pm

Ultimately the point of what I'm saying is that this should not be your normal GW FAQ. If the same question keeps getting asked and argued about on der interforumz then the rules provided weren't enough and need to be further explained. And: explained in a fashion that's suitable for publication - they should be considered very carefully with the awareness that the people who read things like FAQs will also be considering them very carefully. They're important.

I don't particularly care whether the item gets magical attacks or not, but the actual answer provided is inadequate. The person asking this question is really asking "Does this item get magical attacks even though all these others don't?" That isn't being answered and needs to be.

I do care about blunderbusses suddenly becoming one of the best things to snipe characters with in the game. That is bad. The person asking this question is really asking "Holy shit can I really do this? (queue evil cackle)"

Both Daemonsmith questions are answered fully and spot on.

The Kolossus quesion is the most interesting one, really. The answer given is of course the completely consistent and "right" answer, but I suspect the question is more an invitation to errata. The person is really asking "Is it really fair to add another thing that screws over SSCs, Dwarf warmachines, etcetc." A Kolossus setup like that really does make it completely impossible for certain armies to deal with... and it's worth thinking about that. You'd be well within your rights to say something like "While usually the answer would be yes, in this case the Kolossus is just far too massive to protected by just one magical item."

I could go either way really -- on the one hand it's certainly no worse than a HE dragon, but on the other I do pity the guy still playing TK.
WickerNipple

Postby KevinC » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:44 pm

The hardest thing about this project has been: how much do I keep in line with GW and where is the line drawn? My opinion has always been if a magic weapon attacks you in any way then is should be a magical attack. I realize that other rulings might not be the same, but, to me, that is simply confusing. It's quite simply easy to remember a magic weapon causes magical attacks. For example, GW has made rulings on this kind of thing before, but do you think it people still ask - what did the FAQ say? are these magical attacks or not? I bet and know people do, I would ask too, because it's such a weird ruling one might not remember it correctly.

Regarding 'look out sir', I'm totally cool with allowing it. But it's just the weapon is short ranged and their are ways to prevent the unit from shooting and the character is getting hit on a single 4+ roll causing only one wound. When you say he gets look out sir, then what? another model can be hit twice? Which I'm not saying is confusing, but you know warhammer players. The rules for blunderbusses clearly state that EVERY model in the unit may be hit, simple enough. But even so it is probably safe to have lookout sir simply so that players don't get upset about having their characters wounded or slain in this manner from a fan made book.
Common Goblins iz da best!!

Check out my Gobbos at:http://z3.invisionfree.com/Orc__Goblin_Warpath/index.php?showtopic=28856

'I am the son of Aenarion, and where my blade falls, death follows.'
- Malekith, Prince of Nagarythe
KevinC

Next

Return to General discussion